Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Donations"
"Donations"
[rant]
As I was leaving the market today, there was a man seated outside asking for donations for a homeless shelter a few towns away (never mind that our town needs its own help with the homeless). I've often considered stopping and chatting with this fellow to learn more about the charity he represents, his affiliations, and so on, but I have not done so because I sense I may speak-out too freely if I disagree (something that has gotten me into trouble in the past), and so I have historically decided not to engage this man - until today.

There he was in his usual spot, arm extended, tin in hand, calling out... "Help the homeless" - I approached him. I asked... "say friend, are you a volunteer for your charity?" - wearing a big cheesy grin he said... "Heck no brother, I'm on the clock!" I was curious how much he earned for begging, so I asked him... "Are you earning minimum wage?" ($9.00 per hour here in California) He replied... "No man, I'm makin' $10 an hour for this." (still grinning). I then asked him how much he typically collected per day and how long he sat there. He said that he usually collects about $80 in donations per 6 hour shift. If you do the math you'll quickly discover that this man makes $60 of the $80 collected per shift. Angry

"Donations" my ass! This guy is a glorified pan-handler.
[/rant]
RE: "Donations"
Is he a "maker" or a "taker?" Quick...someone find Mitt Romney and get an opinion!
Why post this in the Christianity section? Was the fellow a representative of a Christian charity?

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

(August 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm)ShaMan Wrote: [rant]
As I was leaving the market today, there was a man seated outside asking for donations for a homeless shelter a few towns away (never mind that our town needs its own help with the homeless). I've often considered stopping and chatting with this fellow to learn more about the charity he represents, his affiliations, and so on, but I have not done so because I sense I may speak-out too freely if I disagree (something that has gotten me into trouble in the past), and so I have historically decided not to engage this man - until today.

There he was in his usual spot, arm extended, tin in hand, calling out... "Help the homeless" - I approached him. I asked... "say friend, are you a volunteer for your charity?" - wearing a big cheesy grin he said... "Heck no brother, I'm on the clock!" I was curious how much he earned for begging, so I asked him... "Are you earning minimum wage?" ($9.00 per hour here in California) He replied... "No man, I'm makin' $10 an hour for this." (still grinning). I then asked him how much he typically collected per day and how long he sat there. He said that he usually collects about $80 in donations per 6 hour shift. If you do the math you'll quickly discover that this man makes $60 of the $80 collected per shift. Angry

"Donations" my ass! This guy is a glorified pan-handler.
[/rant]

Maybe the guy needs to do that to survive in modern America. He could be an ex-con and unable to get a job because of his criminal record. Maybe no one will hire him because they have hired illegal aliens and foreign refugees for the jobs that he could do. Maybe he has no other means of support to provide for himself and his possible family.

I suppose he can always turn to crime, robbing, stealing, burglarizing, etc., to avoid the stigma or being a panhandler.

Of course if he was a Bible believer he would commit suicide instead of begging. As it says in Sirach 40:28 (CEB) = "My child, don’t live the life of a beggar; it’s better to die than to beg."
(August 8, 2014 at 3:30 pm)orangebox21 Wrote: Why post this in the Christianity section? Was the fellow a representative of a Christian charity?
The big gaudy cross and chain on his neck were fairly obvious. And yes, the "charity" he works for is a Christian church.

(August 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: I suppose he can always turn to crime, robbing, stealing, burglarizing, etc., to avoid the stigma or being a panhandler.
[Image: Straw-Man%20animation.gif]
Is it better to slip the guy a fiver or have him rob you?
(August 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Is it better to slip the guy a fiver or have him rob you?
Neither. I work for my money, and so should he. Sitting on a stoop with your hand out is not work. How about a third alternative, like he gets a job?
(August 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm)ShaMan Wrote:
(August 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Is it better to slip the guy a fiver or have him rob you?
Neither. I work for my money, and so should he. Sitting on a stoop with your hand out is not work. How about a third alternative, like he gets a job?

I gave you a list of possible reasons why such a person might not have a job. Maybe one day you, or someone close to you, will fall on extended hard times. You will then be able to tell us how easy it was for you to recover.

That dummy John Hagee in Texas shares your opinion. So take solace in the knowledge that the fat creep also has no empathy or charity for panhandlers.
(August 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm)ShaMan Wrote:

Why should he work when begging seems to answer his needs? I recommend you to Conan Doyle's 'The Man With The Twisted Lip'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 8, 2014 at 7:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Neither. I work for my money, and so should he. Sitting on a stoop with your hand out is not work. How about a third alternative, like he gets a job?

There's yet another alternative: The man could get a position offering high pay, amazing benefits, the respect of a large part of his community, and he'd never have to do a stitch of work: Become a clergyman.

Boru

Based on the initial story the guy seems to be too honest to be a clergyman.