Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why knocking is so important.
Why knocking is so important.
I can't seem to find the post where we all were recently speaking of knocking so I am starting this new thread rather than hijack someone else's.

I know many of us have had this discussion before. Where you say bla bla bla bla, no proof of God Bla bla bla..

Then I say if you want proof, what better proof of God, is their than God Himself?

Then you say: bla bla bla how can God be proof, of God? (insert insult) bla bla! Ha, Ha , Ha

Then I say A/S/K (ask seek knock) as out lined in luke 11. And you will be given a measure of the Holy Spirit.

You say: bla bla bla, "I did when i; bla bla bla, and got nothing in response. So now I am an atheist."

Then me: if you're not currently seeking you have not A/S/K'ed as outlined in luke 11. Because again the persistent neighbor did not stop knocking till he got what he was looking for..
So if you stopped before you got what you were looking for, you did not follow the outline Christ Gave.

Then the conversation generally turns to all the different reasons knocking does not apply to you..

Before we go down another bla bla bla road, let's try going down the other fork in this conversation.

Let's say you did have a humble and contrite heart when you asked God to help you find Him or when you genuinely asked for proof of Him. But let's also say you had a really messed up idea of who God is and what He wants from you.

Now if God gave you confirmation that He does indeed exist, it would cement your version of God (flaws mistakes and all) in your mind.

I assume most of you are familiar with the parable of the wise and foolish builders/the man who built his house on the sand and the man who built his house upon the rock.
If not it starts at verse 24: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...rsion=NASB

Both men had the same objective here and that was to build his own house. In the story our house is our legacy or our effort to build a relationship with God. (Empty Religion or religious effort for short)
Meaning a wise man (man who truly knows God) and a foolish man (a man who does not know God) can live a life and do the exact same things as the wise man does.(which result in a house/religion) for both. However according to Christ one house will stand and one house will fall when tested.

When you ask for God to send 'proof.' Or to strengthen your relationship with Him he sends the rains to test/proof your house. Meaning if the picture of God you have/your religious views are based on the biblical portrayal of God you will see God as your foundation. (You will be able to see the proof He sends in the Holy Spirit.) However if you have built your understanding of God on the empty religions of your fathers then it is more likely that your house will have been washed away.

This is why it is so important to continue knocking. Because in your prayer you asked to see God, and rather than God allow you to continue to build a 'house' on a corrupt foundation, He will simply stop supporting your house/religious beliefs, allowing your house to collapse under its own fatal flaws.

This is where many of you are at. You sought God and rather than re enforce your ideas of what God is, He has taken those imperfect images from you, by giving you the proof you need to disqualify those pictures of Him as being 'God.'

You all have done the hard part, and that is cast off the empty traditional beliefs, God has help you in wiping your slate clean. The question then becomes, what do you want to build on your slate now? Do any of you still have the desire to seek God? (Most of you are more than 1/2 way there.) or do you assume just because you disqualified the idea of God you had as a child means no other version of God can possibly exist.

How much pride does it take to assume that the picture/understanding of God you had as a child, can even be close to the creator of everything?
RE: Why knocking is so important.
If God existed I would bow down to him and say thou are the lord.

However I would feel like an idiot bowing down to a figment of your imagination.

Show me God or go away.
As KUSA says not our job to prove anyone's delusions for them. I'm not 'looking' for any sort of 'god' (whatever that is). Never have, never will.

I'm sure the ASK method works really well on those people that want to believe in something like a god or gods.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
George Harrison used to speak to Krishna, why should I believe your delusions over his?
Apparently, it doesn't work all that well on those folks that want to believe anyway - as many of our forum goers can attest to. Didn't work on Drich either, IIRC. I seem to remember you being "called to god" over the magic of wide band radio waves? One of those lucky few.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Ready for a simple translation of what he just said?:
You have to believe in god in order to believe in god.

Its such a fantastic defence mechanism isn't it?
Person A: I was a Christian and looked for god for 20 years. I didn't find him, now i'm an atheist.
Person B: Well you obviously didn't look in the right way.

Hey drich, can you fly? I jumped out of an aeroplane once and I flew. What's that? You fell straight down when you jumped? Well you musn't have jumped properly.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Dear Dritch. Tried very hard to do that once. I wanted to make mother happy. Apparently god didn't. Next.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Scripturally, jumping out of a plane is indeterminate.

Handling deadly serpents is the money shot.
Another thing, if I knock on someone's door and they don't answer, I assume they are not there or don't want to see me.
(August 9, 2014 at 6:02 pm)Drich Wrote: I say A/S/K (ask seek knock) as out lined in luke 11. And you will be given a measure of the Holy Spirit.
And the holy spirit told me that the bible is a lie. Next.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 34765 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The most important reason I'm xtian Jacob(smooth) 64 15585 December 11, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Why is faith important? Question Mark 120 35267 March 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Faith more important than Reality? superstarr 19 7042 July 1, 2010 at 4:51 am
Last Post: superstarr