Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robin Williams
Robin Williams
With the sad news of the death of Robin Williams it seemed an appropriate moment to post about psychiatric illness.

Williams was known to be bi-polar and suffer from severe depression, I don't know of anyone who isn't touched in some way by psychiatric illness, either directly or through a close relative. It is even more difficult for people living with psychiatric illness with current social attitudes, perhaps the fragility of the human mind is just too close for comfort for us.

Having seen the effects psychiatric illness can have on a life directly through my own family I just wanted to say to anyone who shares this forum with me or anyone who is surfing by from the outside, there are some of us who care. I can't pretend I understand what it is like to live with such a condition but I can recognise how debilitating and traumatic it can be.

In Robin's name I'd like to show my support for all those who face the day-to-day trials of psychiatric illness, I am also going to set up a regular monthly donation to the Samaritans today, in his memory.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Robin Williams
I feel like he's a kind of comedic messiah. He suffered his whole life-- even at his funniest, you can see the suffering in his eyes. He was so desperate to bury his suffering, and that of others, in happiness. He suffered so that we could experience joy through him, in a way.