Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
questions from a boring prude
questions from a boring prude
I got two set of questions:

1: How did the prohibition end? And why? And what started it? And what is moonshine? (My country is one of the few that is one hundred percent dry, at least on paper).Big Grin

2: When did the usa become ok (relatively)? What are some main points in the history of the American perception of sex? (Sex outside of marriage is possibly illegal in my country, most people who aren't married are virgins, me included).Angel
RE: questions from a boring prude
1. The blackmarket in alcohol was so much more damaging to our society than legal alcohol was that we had a Constitutional Convention to repeal the 18th Amendment which had established Prohibition in 1920. The amendment repealing Prohibition was the 21st Amendment, 1933.
2. We're still getting there. There are some countries that are arguably better places to live, but our best states are competitive in that regard. When adultery became exempt from criminal punishment varies by state, I think Colorado may have been the last state to de-criminalize adultery (last year), but according to Wikipedia, there are still 21 states (including South Carolina, where I live) where adultery is illegal, though prosecutions are rare. Rare enough that it would probably make the national news if it happened. In theory, you could get a life sentence for adultery in Michigan, though I don't think that sentence has been imposed in my lifetime.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Is moonshine "bad quality" alcohol?
In libya, cheap alcohol is called bokha (I spell it boxa. I've never been near the stuff, I'm a "good kid").Angel
(August 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Is moonshine "bad quality" alcohol?
Not the way I make it Wink
If I decide to start drinking for some reason (not happening), after getting asylum or something (not happening. Culture shock, won't get asylum and I fear I won't get accepted by the locals). What kind of booze should I try?
(August 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Is moonshine "bad quality" alcohol?
It can be, if it's produced in a home-made still with little or no regard for quality. For some people it just has to be strong enough so that it doesn't take long for the taste not to matter.

As for what to drink if you're looking to try alcohol, I guess beer is a good option. It's not likely to be very strong, and should slowly produced the buzzed/tipsy effect that can help you to understand why people enjoy alcohol so much (without making you drunk enough to do something you might regret the next day).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(August 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: If I decide to start drinking for some reason (not happening), after getting asylum or something (not happening. Culture shock, won't get asylum and I fear I won't get accepted by the locals). What kind of booze should I try?

Beer, wine, brandy, whiskey and whisky, cider, and anything else with more than 4% alcohol.Big Grin

Not, absolutely not, warm British beer.Angry
(August 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: What kind of booze should I try?
Don't start in the first place.