Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess can be lethal!
Chess can be lethal!
Here's a somewhat unusual article from the UK Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...reme-sport

It seemed to me one of the strangest coincidences of all time: two chess players dying on the same day at the end of the biennial Chess Olympiad in Norway. But when I spoke to a chess-playing friend of mine, he said “Is it really so odd?” There were almost 2,000 players taking part in the event, quite a few of them – especially the men – getting on in years, unfit, sedentary. Healthwise, they were high risk. Are two deaths really so surprising?

My friend is right and wrong at the same time. It is a bizarre coincidence that two players – one from the Seychelles, one from Uzbekistan, the former at the board, the latter in his hotel room after the tournament had ended – should die within hours of each other. That’s why there has been news interest in the case, and why he is wrong in this respect. But he is spot on about the susceptibility of chess players to stress-related conditions. Chess, though the non-player might not believe this, is in many ways an extreme sport.

At the Olympiad, participants were playing a game a day over a fortnight – 11 rounds with just a couple of rest days on which to recuperate. For up to seven hours a day, they would be sitting at the board trying to kill – metaphorically speaking – their opponent, because this is the ultimate game of kill or be killed. In some positions, you can reach a point where both sides are simultaneously within a single move of checkmating the other. One false step and you will have lost. This imposes enormous pressure on players.
RE: Chess can be lethal!
I like chocolate. Big Grin
Even more so when combined with boxing:

[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
That is awsome.
I've seen that before. I really think it's a fantastic idea.
I'll beat all y' all at chess. Dead or alive.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(September 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm)Luckie Wrote: I'll beat all y' all at chess. Dead or alive.
What about the boxing though?
Boxing is for girlie girls
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

(September 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Luckie Wrote: Boxing is for girlie girls

Like these ones:

[Image: hallbacka_400.jpg]
(September 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm)Diablo Wrote:
(September 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Luckie Wrote: Boxing is for girlie girls

Like these ones:

[Image: hallbacka_400.jpg]

Minus the clothes, and you might have somethin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is chess a physical test? MarcusA 20 1321 August 21, 2023 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: brewer