Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:02 pm

Poll: Does evidence and lack of evidence go hand in hand with probability and improbability?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and always/almost always.
33.33%
2 33.33%
Usually
16.67%
1 16.67%
Sometimes.
16.67%
1 16.67%
No, never.
33.33%
2 33.33%
I have no idea.
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence and probability go hand in hand?
Evidence and probability go hand in hand?
Do evidence and lack of evidence and probability and improbability go hand in hand?
Note: Public poll.
RE: Evidence and probability go hand in hand?
Whilst evidence might relate somewhat to probability, lack of evidence doesn't relate at all to improbability. The argument that there is a "lack of evidence" for contradicting theories does not necessarily mean they are improbable though.
There is zero evidence for the supernatural, doesn't that make the supernatural improbable?
Or is that JUST because of the complexity thing?
I heard Carl Sagan said, and apparently he had took it from someone else, something like "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is that what you mean Adrian?
I just thought that because there's ZERO evidence for the supernatural that is at least partly connected to its improbability.
I'd have to say No. 1 because nothing in science (evidence based) is certain simply very, very probable (or vice versa).

Kyu
(November 6, 2008 at 2:13 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: There is zero evidence for the supernatural, doesn't that make the supernatural improbable?
I heard Carl Sagan said, and apparently he had took it from someone else, something like "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is that what you mean Adrian?
I just thought that because there's ZERO evidence for the supernatural that is at least partly connected to its improbability.
I guess it really comes down to what you define as evidence. For example, String theory has no evidence at all, other than particle physics and mathematics predicting it. So is String theory automatically "improbable"? No. The whole thing about improbability is you need to know something about the event in order to deduce it's improbability.

For example, if I toss a coin, it is 50% improbable that the coin will land on heads. I can only make this assertion because I know that:

1) The coin has 2 sides (2 possible outcomes)
2) The coin is evenly weighted (we assume this for the maths)
3) The coin never lands on it's side

Take something that has no evidence, for example: GOD. What do we know about God in order to make a reasonable probability prediction about it? Nothing. If we are talking about a certain God in particular then yes we might have some additional information, but the whole "God" idea on it's own does not have any evidence, and so it is impossible to put an improbability value on it.
(November 6, 2008 at 4:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 6, 2008 at 2:13 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: There is zero evidence for the supernatural, doesn't that make the supernatural improbable?
I guess it really comes down to what you define as evidence. For example, String theory has no evidence at all, other than particle physics and mathematics predicting it. So is String theory automatically "improbable"? No. The whole thing about improbability is you need to know something about the event in order to deduce it's improbability.

For example, if I toss a coin, it is 50% improbable that the coin will land on heads. I can only make this assertion because I know that:

1) The coin has 2 sides (2 possible outcomes)
2) The coin is evenly weighted (we assume this for the maths)
3) The coin never lands on it's side

Take something that has no evidence, for example: GOD. What do we know about God in order to make a reasonable probability prediction about it? Nothing. If we are talking about a certain God in particular then yes we might have some additional information, but the whole "God" idea on it's own does not have any evidence, and so it is impossible to put an improbability value on it.
So what makes you think the whole "God" idea is so improbable if you can't estimate his improbability due to lack of evidence? Complexity?
(November 7, 2008 at 8:32 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: So what makes you think the whole "God" idea is so improbable if you can't estimate his improbability due to lack of evidence? Complexity?

To my mind because it throws rationality out of the window ...if you allow "god dun it" as an explanation you no longer have to explain anything.

Kyu
Yeah but the estimation isn't merely intutive, its lack of evidence, estimated improbabiility and the fact that God is far more complex and improbable than the explanation he gives.
Adrian, you say that there is no evidence for string theory, therefore by my mind it would be improbable.
But is there really no evidence for it? Surely it is self-evident that string theory is mathamatically sound and it works. Surely that counts as evidence?
There's plenty of evidence for string theory. However, it's all mathmatical so perhaps that doesn't quite count in the same way that there is evidence for evolution which is of course a FACT!

Anyway, if the LHC discovers extra dimensions then that would certainly be a shot on the arm.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Yes not exactly the same kind of evidence for evolution, but its the same in the sense, both are scientific evidence.
Physics is science for example and you use maths to help yourself understand physics. Maths and other types of scientific evidence both aid in helping us understand facts about the universe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the probability that 3 out of 23 people will share the same birthday? FlatAssembler 28 3206 February 16, 2022 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Frog probability Aractus 17 3736 April 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Probability question: names in hats robvalue 78 10081 March 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: emjay
  The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem Excited Penguin 209 12466 March 15, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The probability of the accuracy of probability itself? Etc. Edwardo Piet 15 6257 February 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  Probability and Evidence. Edwardo Piet 9 5618 October 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: josef rosenkranz