Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss
Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014090...b1047.html

Quote:SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Mormon church and four religious organizations are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene and settle once and for all the question of whether states can outlaw gay marriage.

Quote:"Legal uncertainty is especially burdensome for religious organizations and religious believers increasingly confronted with thorny questions," the brief says. "Is their right to refrain from participating in, recognizing or facilitating marriages between persons of the same sex, contrary to their religious convictions, adequately shielded by the First Amendment and other legal protections? Or is further legislation needed to guard religious liberties in these and other sensitive areas?"

Deep down they already know they will need their republicunt buddies to shield their bigotry under the guise of 'religious freedom.'
RE: Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss
Ahh, they can suck it -- this LIE about 'religious freedom' is enough to make me want to start MY OWN 'holy war'!

To the Catholics: Sorry that gay marriage, with its 'fruitless produce of progeny' is such an offense to your 13-child happy household.
To the Protestants: Sorry that gay marriage tarnishes the sanctity of your third and fourth marriages.
To the Mormons: Sorry that gay marriage is such a stain on your polygamy.
To the Republicans/"Christian Conservatives": Not sorry a BIT, go self-fornicate with splintered broom handles.

It's disgusting that they actually want others to think that the exercise of religious freedom in America means that they can exercise oppression of any that disagree with them. WAIT -- that sounds vaguely PURITAN.........
Wink Shades"I THINK, therefore I am DANGEROUS..." Wink Shades
Just because 1 or 2 religious groups don't like gay marriage doesn't mean the state shouldn't allow it. The people against should have a choice not to perform the ceremony, but 2 people of the same sex should be able to get married.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
I like how the phrase "religious liberties" means the right to persecute others.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

From OP:

"Is their right to refrain from participating in, recognizing or facilitating marriages between persons of the same sex, contrary to their religious convictions, adequately shielded by the First Amendment and other legal protections? Or is further legislation needed to guard religious liberties in these and other sensitive areas?"

My bold. They don't have to participate in or facilitate gay marriage, but everyone would have to recognise its legitimacy imho.
Can't help but think even with the laws as they are now that 99.99% of all churches would fail to decline a donation check from a same-sex couple's joint bank account.

And if I want to conclude from that they are united in worshipping Mammon instead of Yahweh, Jehovah, Jesus, etc. . . . .

Thinking
As I am a fierce supporter of gay marriage the idea of the issue going before THIS court scares me. IIRC there are five conservative and four liberal judges.
[Image: gay-marriage-19-states-legal-31-states-banned.png]

Regardless of what happens to this Utah thing eventually, in our lifetime, there will be a national legal standing that supports equal rights. Even if certains groups still oppose it, it will be something available to all gay couples who desire that level of commitment.

There are currently 19 states that gay marriage is legal and 12 additional states whose bans have been overturned but appeals (that will ultimately be denied) are still being processed.

It started with Mass. in 2004 but you can see how quickly things have changed the last 5 years, highlighting 2013-2014.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
I long ago came to the conclusion that if two men marry each other, or if two women marry each other, it has an effect on my life that is absolutely nil. This puts it in the category of 'none of my bloody business'.

That being said, I'm delighted to see the US rocketing along towards the idea that you can't legislate differently for different groups. We did it nationally here just last summer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I long ago came to the conclusion that if two men marry each other, or if two women marry each other, it has an effect on my life that is absolutely nil. This puts it in the category of 'none of my bloody business'.

That being said, I'm delighted to see the US rocketing along towards the idea that you can't legislate differently for different groups. We did it nationally here just last summer.

Boru

It was made officially legal here in March. I'm glad the UK finally came to their senses.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12662 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain SavedByGraceThruFaith 313 115896 October 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37