Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outlawing ALL unproven medical practices,
Outlawing ALL unproven medical practices,
Just a thought:

I think all practices that claim to be able to deliver health benefits should be banned from selling their products to the public, in the interest of public safety, unless they can prove that their treatment is more significant than a placebo.

This would mean that Homeopathy, Reflexology, Acupuncture, Faith healing, copper wrist bracelets and other nonsense practitioners will need to have their claims proven in double blind trials before they are allowed to sell their product to the public. People would sill be free to engage in these practices on their own or with friends as long as no money changed hands.

The two advantages of this are as follows:

1) People who currently seek these nonsense treatments for serious illnesses do so under the pretence that these treatments are actually effective and could save their lives. Under my proposal they would be forced to seek real treatment, giving them a real chance of recovering for the money they spend on treatments. Parents with weird beliefs would no longer have an excuse for choosing nonsense treatment for their children.

2) It will encourage more research into various fields of study because if these practitioners and peddlers want to be able to sell their products they must meet a standard, therefore they must do real research and development into a product in order to make it effective. No longer will people be able to profit from bullshit, whether they do it knowingly or not.
RE: Outlawing ALL unproven medical practices,
Quite the nice idea! Labeling laws were supposed to bring about this type of regulation but companies just slap a, "Not meant to treat or cure any disease" or some such label and then they are bulletproof in the eyes of the law. Making the law more agressive would certainly bankrupt a lot of snake oil salesmen.

Rhizo
Sure they could label the product with some silly cosmetic effects, but that's not important, I have no problem with people being conned for their vanity. It's when lives are at stake that serious measures need to be implemented.
I wouldn't go so far as banning it, but I'd make sure it wasn't part of the national healthcare system. I have no interests (and neither should a good government) in what products the populace buys, even if they kill them in the end. It's actually a rather effective method of weeding stupid people out of the genepool.
Quote:I think all practices that claim to be able to deliver health benefits should be banned from selling their products to the public, in the interest of public safety, unless they can prove that their treatment is more significant than a placebo.

You'd ban the pharmaceutical companies.... Not the worst idea I've ever heard, btw.
(January 26, 2010 at 12:45 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I think all practices that claim to be able to deliver health benefits should be banned from selling their products to the public, in the interest of public safety, unless they can prove that their treatment is more significant than a placebo.

You'd ban the pharmaceutical companies.... Not the worst idea I've ever heard, btw.

Only the products that don't pass efficacy testing.
No, people should be free to be as stupid as they like.

provided no one else is harmed in the process.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Quote:Only the products that don't pass efficacy testing.

Man, don't you know? That's what advertising is for!

"Tell YOUR doctor that you need new Flopadix" because who needs a morning hard-on.
(January 26, 2010 at 2:44 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Only the products that don't pass efficacy testing.

Man, don't you know? That's what advertising is for!

"Tell YOUR doctor that you need new Flopadix" because who needs a morning hard-on.

Lol as long as it actually causes erections at a rate more significant than the placebo effect then who cares? At least old dudes aren't not getting erections from homoeopathic remedies.
I'm all for the idea Smile

Although I don't see how it could become law in a society that relies upon selling poor products at ridiculous prices :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Medical advice Macoleco 12 3137 July 7, 2017 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Medical update BrokenQuill92 102 7913 May 16, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  For Our Medical Types Minimalist 0 636 October 23, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What the FLUFF!! Medical World! BlackSwordsman 7 1636 July 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: BlackSwordsman
  My first week in the medical field~ BlackSwordsman 3 1297 June 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Hospitilized; Psychiatric and Medical LivingNumbers6.626 10 2200 June 20, 2014 at 3:13 am
Last Post: laikashuman
Thumbs Up jail sounds great if you need medical work done bbrettle 8 3363 June 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: bbrettle