Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bar of Gold
Bar of Gold
Here is a probably easier puzzle than the last, this time involving a bar of gold.

You've got someone working for you for seven days and a gold bar to pay them. The gold bar is segmented into seven connected pieces. You must give them a piece of gold at the end of every day. If you are only allowed to make two breaks in the gold bar, how do you pay your worker?

My guess is computer literate people might get this before others.

Solution below:

RE: Bar of Gold
Throw it on the ground really hard.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
...and make more than two breaks in the bar? Not allowed I'm afraid...but amusing solution nonetheless Tongue
Would this involve having the worker break the bar? Like if you broke it once with 2 pieces still attached, hand it to the worker and he breaks that in two and hands one back?

Some trickery like that?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(January 26, 2010 at 10:27 am)Tiberius Wrote: Here is a probably easier puzzle than the last, this time involving a bar of gold.

You've got someone working for you for seven days and a gold bar to pay them. The gold bar is segmented into seven connected pieces. You must give them a piece of gold at the end of every day. If you are only allowed to make two breaks in the gold bar, how do you pay your worker?

My guess is computer literate people might get this before others.

I'm not sure what counts as a break, so this may not be legal.

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

first you rip out D and you are left with A-B-C and E-F-G and then you put them on top of each other

A-B-C
E-F-G

then you remove B and F
(January 26, 2010 at 10:33 am)Dotard Wrote: Would this involve having the worker break the bar? Like if you broke it once with 2 pieces still attached, hand it to the worker and he breaks that in two and hands one back?

Some trickery like that?
No. To put it another way, the bar can only be broken into three pieces...ever. You have to work out a payment plan over 7 days so that you give him the same rate of gold a day.
(January 26, 2010 at 10:35 am)Zhalentine Wrote: I'm not sure what counts as a break, so this may not be legal.

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

first you rip out D and you are left with A-B-C and E-F-G and then you put them on top of each other

A-B-C
E-F-G

then you remove B and F
No. That would involve two breaks for D's removal (breaking CD and DE connections), and then another 2 for B, and another 2 for F.

You are only allowed 2 breaks (not "removals").
1 part of 1 = A
1 part of 2 = B
1 part of 4 = C

day 1, give part A
Day 2, give part B, get part A back
Day 3, give part A
Day 4, give part C, get part A and B back
Day 5, Give part A
Day 6, Give part B, get part A back
Day 7, give part A.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I posted the solution and an explanation in the original post (hidden). leo has it spot on though Smile
Foul.

I asked about trickery and example may have said have him break it, which would be incorrect. However giving him some gold one day and having him give some back qualifys as trickery.

It's a trick question. Like saying you have three $20 bills and you have to give him same pay everyday from those $20s without exchanging them for smaller denominations.

Then to answer give him a $20 bill and have him give you change.

Basicly it is what I gathered from the "solution". Just get your 'change' back every other day.

It's a disingenuous problem.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Him breaking it would have been against the rule about "only 2 breaks". The only other rule was that every day you had to give him some gold.

It isn't a trick, it's called lateral thinking. It becomes obvious when you realise you have only 3 lots of gold and 7 lots to fit them into. You can't split 3 across 7 without breaking it down, so you have to think a bit more. Given that the only two people in this scenario are you and him, passing gold back and forth as "change" becomes logical, and you only need to figure out which breaks to make.

It's a bit like the fox, chicken, and wheat problem. A farmer needs to get them across the river, but the boat can only take him and one of the aforementioned items. Left alone, the fox wil eat the chicken, and the chicken will eat the wheat. The answer to the riddle involves taking items across and taking them back, so that you can transfer all items across without anyone getting eaten. Nowhere in the riddle does it say you can take things back across once they are on the other side, but it doesn't rule it out either.

No need to throw a tantrum when you can't figure out the answer.