Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we growing?
Are we growing?
Hi,
this afternoon a weird question came to mind.

As most of you know, our universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate. However, this doesn´t mean there are new parts of space added to the existing one, rather that the existing space is "stretching" out usually compared to any single point on a balloon as you blow it up.

Does that mean the space we live in "expands us" aswell? So do we, by which I mean the space between say, a nucleus and it´s surrounding electrons, or even the elementary particles themselves, grow? If this is the case, how come this has no apparent impact on any physical effect we know of?
Or do we sort of remain static due to physical forces "keeping us in place"? Now if that´s true, how does this process take place?

I have no idea whether this is actually a physical or more of a metaphysical question but consider it an at least entertaining thought experiment.

cheers!
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend.
RE: Are we growing?
No

Although space is expanding, nuclear forces keep the atoms together and gravity keeps the galaxies together. Eventually however, dark energy will become so strong that everything will be ripped apart.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Well, I'M certainly growing. I was only 22" tall when I was born...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The outer edge of the universe is constant. We are shrinking at an enormous rate.

And if you think about it, that makes about as much sense as anything.
(October 6, 2014 at 7:23 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The outer edge of the universe is constant. We are shrinking at an enormous rate.

And if you think about it, that makes about as much sense as anything.

Were that the case, distant galaxies would be observed to bkue-shift rather than red.
No, due to shrinkage, we are moving away from them still.

Space is getting bigger, so to speak, in the middle where we are instead of the outer rim.
Can someone explain to me how the expansion of space effects time with regards to the speed of light? As far as I understand certain statements made by physicists, time ceases to exist at the speed of light (186k mph), and yet space expansion is actually occurring at a rate that exceeds the speed of light (which is why no light from other galaxies will reach the Milky Way in a 100 billion years or so). So where does this leave time?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(October 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: So where does this leave time?
I can hear my Swatch® ticking at night, all the way from downstairs. It's creepy...
The faster you go, the slower it passes.

And this only applies to mass. Space can expand faster than lightspeed, and is doing so far, far out there.
(October 6, 2014 at 7:04 pm)Darwinian Wrote: No

Although space is expanding, nuclear forces keep the atoms together and gravity keeps the galaxies together. Eventually however, dark energy will become so strong that everything will be ripped apart.

Alice, you would like this lol.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Flattards are growing in popularity! ignoramus 16 5918 June 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus