Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure if this is the correct folder..
Not sure if this is the correct folder..
.. but life after death?... seems not, but bear with me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/...50582.html

Seems there evidence of a sort that shows there can be awareness after death. In one case, three minutes after the heart had stopped, and the brain shuts down within 20 seconds or so, apparently.

Interesting stuff (although a bit like the shoe on the cupboard experiment?)

And not a blow to science, as if proven, this will just become science - as science moves on (unlike religion !!)
RE: Not sure if this is the correct folder..
Erm.. the article, as far as I can tell, is talking about NDE's, not "after death". I don't know of anyone that considers a stopped heart to be "death". I'd like to see the actual journal article (if there is one), because widely-read publications like huff-po liberally use quoted terms like "clinically dead" without bothering to define them, which is kind of a big point of the article. Also, the wording of the article is so greasy and click-baity. "scientists are now seriously considering the possibility that consciousness can continue after a person has been clinically diagnosed as dead" is so vague, it reminds me of creationist websites saying the same about scientists considering the possibility of evolution being false. It's interesting that in the 'related articles' section at the bottom, they have another suggested reading that says NDE's and OBE's are NOT evidence of an afterlife. Just another clickbait trashy article in my opinion.

TL;DR: No.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
They're equivocating "cardiac arrest" and "death". Death does not occur at cardiac arrest, it occurs with the cessation of all biological function - if the brain is still functioning, the subject isn't dead yet.
The heart is a major organ alright, but it isn't THE most important organ when it comes to life and death, that title belongs to the brain. Also humans have shown uncanny perceptions when one or more of their senses like sight has been disabled. Our brain is quite capable of mapping our surroundings from the tiniest of information. Many martial artists train by blocking their senses in order to harness this ability. Even common people experience this as a form of "sixth sense", like when you feel your mom has entered the room, without even looking or hearing anything. There is nothing supernatural about it.

If they really want to write about shady after life experiments, then they should focus on topics like "Past Life Regression".
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Feel free to surf the interweb ocean, but I first saw this on TV (UK breakfast news possibly?)

But that said, I agree with you guys, we know very little about the brain on death...

My reason for posting was to get some dialogue though.... so goon on ya!
I don't buy the study
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: The heart is a major organ alright, but it isn't THE most important organ when it comes to life and death, that title belongs to the brain. Also humans have shown uncanny perceptions when one or more of their senses like sight has been disabled. Our brain is quite capable of mapping our surroundings from the tiniest of information. Many martial artists train by blocking their senses in order to harness this ability. Even common people experience this as a form of "sixth sense", like when you feel your mom has entered the room, without even looking or hearing anything. There is nothing supernatural about it.

If they really want to write about shady after life experiments, then they should focus on topics like "Past Life Regression".

You can't tell them how to conduct their studies? can you?
(October 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm)lifesagift Wrote: You can't tell them how to conduct their studies? can you?
Well that's true, but then again, this doesn't seem like much of a "study" as much as a clickbait.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

As a result of the incident that cost me my eye, I 'coded' for about two minutes. I had no recollection of anything that occurred during that time.

And previous posters are absolutely correct - heart stoppage doesn't constitute 'dead'. Dead is just that - dead. You don't come back from dead.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Dead is just dead" really doesn't give any credit to any research... and is a bit limited...

And I do understand the "clickbait" problem... so:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre...Db3dRstBMs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please do correct me if I am getting this wrong. Brian37 6 876 July 8, 2022 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Brian37
  God vs Big Bang- Are either correct? sswhateverlove 132 21457 September 15, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda