Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 12:42 pm

Poll: Would you make religion illegal?
This poll is closed.
Yes
17.39%
4 17.39%
No
82.61%
19 82.61%
Only if it did not hurt my political career
0%
0 0%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secularism
Secularism
Out of curiosity, how many of you would illegalize religion if you could?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

RE: Secularism
(January 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote: Out of curiosity, how many of you would illegalize religion if you could?

I wouldn't. People should be free to believe in whatever they want. Even if it's a flying invisible wardrobe. Though I would ban it's discrimination. Wouldn't allow it to shove it's beliefs on others either.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Yeah, once you strip away the bullshit and propaganda, the illogical or irrational extremist ideas tend to get weeded out by society.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Only if you could classify that religion as a cult. Dangerous cults who put children and people generally in harm I would not abide.
seconded adrian, but generally no
I think that to illegalize any belief equates to thought police and is not only inhumane, but also absurd.

EvF
I don't think it is a surprise but I voted no. I think people are free to do whatever they want to do to themselves, including believing the most idiotic claims. Just keep it out of the science class unless you can present actual scientific evidence for it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
outlaw it no
But end government support yes
do away with the tax breaks that keep these churches afloat.
Churches pay no income tax or property tax.
I wouldn't make religion illegal. As much as I think that religion is a bane on human existence, I know full wellthat, as Prohibition and its successor The War on Drugs have shown us, making something illegal doesn't mean it will go away, and in the case of religion, it will probably give them a legitimate grievance against secularism. However, I would end state support of religion.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Well, we can't illegalize religious systems of varying beliefs no more than we can ban the invisible pink unicorn. But if it were possible, I wouldn't.

People have the right to believe whatever they want during their personal time, it's their privilege.

I would however limit this particular expression of freedom in the public or work place, especially prayer. I have a colleague at work who demands our employer a 15 minute break EVERY hour on the hour to pray. It's a requirement by Law, some nonsense to do with equal opportunities, or so my line manager claims, so management have no choice but to grant him this much lest be taken to court for not respecting his evidence-free beliefs. Everyone, including myself, on the floor has to fill in for his lazy arse every time he gets that urge to talk to the damn ceiling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK secularism on the march pgrimes15 13 1775 May 28, 2016 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Aggressive secularism? Darwinian 4 1801 October 14, 2009 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: chatpilot