Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The BS of "testimonials"
The BS of "testimonials"
Atheists do not doubt that prior atheists can become believers. And we don't even doubt believers who claim they have "experienced" whatever.

What we do doubt in both cases is your interpretation of what you think happened. Our species is extremely capable of false perceptions and gap filling.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/10/atheists-t...oes-viral/

If you really want to believe something badly enough you will.

Now in the case of this "former atheist" they know damned well, or should, that they are still subject to the same scrutiny as if they had been religious the entire time. They still would not buy their own "conversion" story if another person with anothe pet god like Allah or Vishnu claimed "I had an experience".
RE: The BS of "testimonials"
What's the purpose of the stars? Really?!
This is true, however Brian I disagree on the grounds that said experiences cannot be determined as fake, just as unreliable to you. Since experiences ARE in fact useless outside the person experiencing them. They however are as real to the use as much as a hallucination would be real to the person seeing things. Having said that, I can see why you judge them harshly. I will share something that most here might securitize. I recently have felt a rather large compelling that there is indeed something more. What has been driving this was my study into the Greek versions of the Gospels ( I think most of the rest of the bible is bunk) and Jesus's own words. Believe it or not he was a rather interesting philosopher and with the various Greek meanings of words, most of the objections often cited in English are in fact wrong. I am not acting on this emotion as I could be compromised, I am however cannot deny this intense unction and intuition that I am not comprehending a deeper truth. That is meaningless to you, however it feels real to me. I believe the only difference is I am actually questioning my own motives.

I wanted that as an example, it can happen to anyone even yourself if given the right push (which may never happen). I think one should always scrutinize his testimony for certain, however go into criticism with no presuppositions. Christians and the religious do that, and we secularists call them out on it. Lets not do the same thing shall we?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
Funny thing. It is a series of atheist testimonials and my conversations with them that has me questioning everything I was ever taught.
What exactly is an atheist testimonial?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 13, 2014 at 10:29 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What exactly is an atheist testimonial?
Sorry, a testimony from christians who used to be an atheist's
Ah, gotcha.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
The story linked in the OP reads like nothing more than bad fan-fiction.

An anonymous(!) atheist gives up the godless life and goes to Heaven! Accepts Jeebus and lives the good life forever and ever and ever and ever. Holey Moley!

I guess the choir finds these stories inspiring, when even the blackest of the fiends - the atheist (Boooooo! Hisssssss!) - can cum to Jeebus. Then, there is hope for lesser of fiends - the Mormon/Pagan/Muslim/et al every other non-Jeebus lover.
Quote:Atheists do not doubt that prior atheists can become believers.

Short of a brain tumor or dementia I look very dubiously on those.

We've all seen too many moron jesus freaks show up here with the "I was an atheist until god shit on my head" routine.
A singular instance is an anecdote. Multiple occurrences make a body of data. No one who has had an NDE has remained an atheist.

(October 13, 2014 at 10:25 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: I recently have felt a rather large compelling that there is indeed something more. What has been driving this was my study into the Greek versions of the Gospels ( I think most of the rest of the bible is bunk) and Jesus's own words. Believe it or not he was a rather interesting philosopher and with the various Greek meanings of words, most of the objections often cited in English are in fact wrong.
Have you ever studied Swedenborg? In his Arcana Coelestia, he delves into the esoteric meanings of the words and phrases used in the OT. Regardless of what you think of his theology, he certainly has a consistent and compelling approach to exegesis.