Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serves The Bastards Right
Serves The Bastards Right
http://www.redding.com/news/local-news/s...-violation

Quote:Shasta County atheist to get $2 million for First Amendment violation

Quote:The California government and a nonprofit will pay a Shasta County atheist nearly $2 million for violating his civil rights when he was sent back to prison for refusing to participate in a religious drug-treatment program while on parole.

Barry Hazle Jr. and his attorney, John G. Heller, announced the settlement this morning at a press conference in San Francisco.

That's really telling them to blow jesus out their asses!
RE: Serves The Bastards Right
(October 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.redding.com/news/local-news/s...-violation

Quote:Shasta County atheist to get $2 million for First Amendment violation

Quote:The California government and a nonprofit will pay a Shasta County atheist nearly $2 million for violating his civil rights when he was sent back to prison for refusing to participate in a religious drug-treatment program while on parole.

Barry Hazle Jr. and his attorney, John G. Heller, announced the settlement this morning at a press conference in San Francisco.

That's really telling them to blow jesus out their asses!

Awesome.

They only seem to understand when it hits them in the wallet.
Dying to live, living to die.
[quote='Minimalist' pid='774267' dateline='1413324336']
Quote:The California government and a nonprofit will pay a Shasta County atheist nearly $2 million ....
Despite my own tax money going to that settlement. Woo HOO! A dollar well spent, I would say.
AA and NA are always trying to sneak in their religion. This will make them think twice.
Not commenting specifically on the OP case, but around here the 'typical' religious sobriety program is conducted by salvation army. Some other churches have their own 'in house' system too, IIRC, the local Lutherans have one, and there are probably others.

The spirituality and religious aspects of AA (can't speak to NA) are sufficiently diluted, non-specific and ecumenical enough to cover catholic, jew, protestant, moslem and agnostic, such that I actually look at it as a stepping stone from religiousity to agnosticism/atheism.

The individuals I have encountered that have done the salvation army stint are (AFAIK) always offered a choice between that or jail. I do not approve of that since there is not a secular alternative (for the indigent) besides jail, and it actually violates several of the (lesser known) 12 traditions of AA. (there are no 'enforcement' provisions in the AA system for much of anything, BTW).

Having said that, the SA program does work to an extent because the people in it are supervised very closely and kept busy. I've had an openly gay acquaintance go through it (twice) and he noted the staff recognizes they cannot directly proselytize heterosexuality, although they are not above openly stating they wish they could. Both times 'G' has claimed he hated the SA program, both times he swore he'd stay dry to avoid going back, and I have to admit, I don't know how he is doing right now.

AA let's the individual define their 'Higher Power' and I have encountered folks that have chosen pets, coffee mugs, the group itself, the 'traditional judeo-christian god, and a raft of other alternatives. I'd think it a bit of a stretch to consider a group that fosters that to be much of a threat to global atheist objectives.
Hazle's an idiot. Everyone KNOWS that fundies know where to get the best drugs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Shasta County atheist to get $2 million for First Amendment violation

The California government and a nonprofit will pay a Shasta County atheist nearly $2 million for violating his civil rights when he was sent back to prison for refusing to participate in a religious drug-treatment program while on parole.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Much as I rejoice at the thought of money being parted from those who would impose religion upon the unwilling, I have to say there needs to be some perspective here. There are innocent people who mistakenly convicted of capital murder through neglect or willful malice of the state, who then spent 30 years on death row before being vindicated and released, and who only got several hundred thousand dollars from the state in compensation for an entire prime of life totally trashed, to say nothing of complete denial of freedom for 30 years. Does this plaintiff, who suffered only an abridgement of his freedom for merely 100 days, really deserve $2 million?

The fact that a totally innocent person who by mistake was forced to lingered 30 years on death row not knowing when it would likely end through execution could get only a fraction of the compensation paid to a not all together innocent person who merely had his freedom unjustifiably abridged for a definitive term of 100 days. This is disproportional.
Different AA groups vary a lot in their religiosity. Some are nearly secular. Others hold hands a praise Jesus.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Doesn't it bother them that 'jesus' drank wine.....allegedly?