Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the Facts
All the Facts
Some of you may remember me posting about a letter in my local newspaper regarding Christmas. Well, a coupla days ago there was another. A young lady (15, apparently) wrote this in.

Quote:Published: January 30, 2010 12:00 PM
It has come to my attention that I am growing up in an age where I am not allowed to think for myself. Aren’t many of those who fight for freedom of thought hypocrites? I cannot process the fact that, while promotion of “human rights” is taught throughout the nation, something as simple as differing in a scientific opinion will basically have people calling you a downright moron – and publicly. Recently there has been a very disturbing letter to the editor about a local politician – written with snide and unfair remarks. Quite frankly I find the remarks in this letter offensive, whether I believe the victim’s opinion or not.

It is things like this that truly scare me. I have learned to question everything I have heard or been taught as most of the time we rarely hear both sides of the story. But how may one express their thoughts if those who are intolerant to others beliefs make a point of telling them they are “unknowledgeable”?

Worst of all, is that most people believe what they hear, just because someone says it. If you have thousands of qualified scientists with differing opinions on the global warming issue who do you believe? Well I am finding that more and more people believe the opinion that is in the media or promoted as the popular choice.

And the media, TV programming, etc. promote it as if it is the truth even when it has not been proven. People don’t bother to check out the opposing opinions. I am finding this a very common thing with my peers especially. They don’t take the time to investigate both sides of the issue and television fails to represent them both.

If it has come to this in my 15 years of living, I fear for the lives of my peers and me and for our children to come in the near future. I do not believe the hype that “climate change” (which it has been changed to because they know their first statement was wrong) is primarily human caused and I don’t believe in evolution. And I don’t think I should be “bullied into believing something else” or called names because of my opinion. This is taking away my freedom. The freedom our society has tried so hard to give.

Call me an unknowledgeable 15-year-old, but maybe, just maybe, I’ve taken the time to look into the facts on both sides of the story – have you?

Abbey Jones

(emphasis added)

Kids these days.....
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
RE: All the Facts
She's fifteen, she still has some hope. Her writing seems to reflect the thinking of perhaps her parents or significant others. I highly doubt a fifteen year old has thoroughly investigated the theory of evolution... I'm not sure who she's trying to fool with that one. If she actually studied evolution, she would realize it is not something you "believe in" at least in terms of having faith in it. Evolution is verifiable. Creationism and other variations are not.

Quote:It has come to my attention that I am growing up in an age where I am not allowed to think for myself. Aren’t many of those who fight for freedom of thought hypocrites? I cannot process the fact that, while promotion of “human rights” is taught throughout the nation, something as simple as differing in a scientific opinion will basically have people calling you a downright moron – and publicly.

She is hypocritical in this opening paragraph. By writing this, she is already displaying her ability to think for herself. She then attacks those who fight for freedom of though...well, what does that make her? Does she support freedom of thought or not, and does that make her a hypocrite by association (a logical fallacy, mind you)? Do people have a right to call each other morons? I think so. She just called another group hypocrites. Is it okay for her to insult others, but not for others to insult her?

Freedom of speech is not a one way street, at least not in this respect. Her point is hypocritical in and of itself. Still, I support her right to say what she says. That's the beauty of democracy. Perhaps someday she will learn that freedom of speech applies to everyone, but that doesn't mean your speech is free from the critical speech of others--it actually means you should EXPECT others to voice their opinion regarding your opinion.
Live and love life

[Image: KnightBanner.png]
Liberty and justice for all
The entire pretext of her argument lies on "I don’t think I should be “bullied into believing something else” or called names because of my opinion."

First off, being called a fucking idiot is fully within the rights of another. Sure, you indeed have the right to free speech, but others have the freedom to call you a moron. Also, she seems to think her opinion has more value over that of others, which is simply not true. And being "bullied" into believing something else is begging the question; being made fun of is another's constitutional right. Deal with it.

In my most humble opinion, she is a hyperindividualist, relativist twat. And that is this 19 year old's opinion too. Oh, how it hurts, the feedback from others.

Calling people out over their statements is the right thing to do. Crying foul over being called out is pathetic - like crying foul over a legitimate chess move. Boo fuckin' hoo.
Yup, agreed, of course it would be nice if everyone got along but all are (should be) given the right to have their own opinion. I wrote a letter to the editor again (they published the last one so why not).

SHABAM

Quote:Abbey Jones- I agree absolutely that difference in opinion should not result in name calling or insults. For example, I myself don't know enough about the climate change facts to say definitively which side is right. However, I have done enough research to make such a statement about evolution, which I strongly doubt you have. You say you do not "believe" in evolution, which is an odd statement to make. It is not a question of belief- the theory of evolution is the only scientifically supported explanation for how life exists as it does. It is on par with some other theories you may be somewhat more familiar with. For example, germ theory is one around which much of modern medicine is based- if you don’t “believe” in germ theory, you might try taking antibiotics from fifteen years ago and see if they affect modern bacteria. They won’t, because modern bacteria have evolved resistances to older antibiotics. Other good theories are the theory of relativity or even the theory of gravity. The thing is, Abbey, you will be presented with much evidence to support evolution in your next few years at any good (public) school. It is a sad fact that many parents and spiritual leaders deride evolution and encourage young adults to simply ignore it without even learning enough to understand it. You may have been told wrong information regarding evolution, or you may simply not know anything about it, but if you do not at least learn what you can about evolution then you will be no better than those you have so rightly complained about who jump to conclusions without knowing the facts. If you have any questions regarding evolution, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Also -Syn- although yes it's totally within someone's rights to name call/bash etc, I don't think it needs to be done. It's often inflammatory and serves no real purpose in furthering discussion.
Quote:This is taking away my freedom.

She's simply wrong....or astoundingly naive. Her freedom is not being taken away. No one is putting her in jail for saying something.

What she wants is to say whatever the fuck she wants and have no repercussions which is somewhat different from taking away HER freedom. What she wants is to take away someone elses freedom to criticize her.

She has a lot of growing up to do.
No, you're right Min. She's just straight up wrong.
One could hope that she gets tooo depressed and ends up as another statistic.
meh.

Quick!! give the biatch a job while she still knows EVERTHING!!!

(just kidding)

Youth is wasted on the very young!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 2, 2010 at 5:54 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Quick!! give the biatch a job while she still knows EVERTHING!!!

Hil-frickin'-larious!
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Amusingly, while she did object to climate change and provided a poor reason for being sceptical about the theory, she gave absolutely no valid reason as to why she doesn't "believe in evolution", or regard evolution as scientific fact.
(February 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Amusingly, while she did object to climate change and provided a poor reason for being sceptical about the theory, she gave absolutely no valid reason as to why she doesn't "believe in evolution", or regard evolution as scientific fact.

What, you were expecting logic?
Live and love life

[Image: KnightBanner.png]
Liberty and justice for all

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  True Facts About... chimp3 0 443 June 17, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Lightbulb Study:Strongly held incorrect beliefs often cannot be changed by disputing facts MountainsWinAgain 17 3877 May 23, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris