Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taste really can be good or bad
Taste really can be good or bad
I think I finally realized the definition of a pleb. It didn't occur to me for a while but I realized that the answer was staring me right in the face the whole time. Some songs don't have any emotional depth. Not only do the lyrics of the song convey an emotional message, but the art of making the sound itself can produce feeling too. I am incapable of describing what specific sounds create certain feelings (that is music theory which I don't know). I think we can all agree that some things are emotionally shallow and some things are emotionally rich. The problem isn't that music is subjective. The problem is that there is no way to write out a quantification of musical emotion. So the stupid who think their music is good don't know that their music is bad. The people who realize when music is bad and has shallow emotional expression or character are the ones who have true taste in music.

Sometimes these things are harder to find than others. Some music might not click with a person the first time. It may take many listens for someone to really get the appeal of the music. Some people may be hearing music that actually has a deep emotional expression that the listener themself cannot grasp.
RE: Taste really can be good or bad
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: I think we can all agree that some things are emotionally shallow and some things are emotionally rich.
I don't agree.
Actually, I take that back, I do agree. But, what I find emotionally "shallow" or emotionally "rich" are completely relative to me.
Everyone's opinions are valid, and there is no right or wrong answer to this.
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: So the stupid who think their music is good don't know that their music is bad.
If you enjoy the music, it is good to you.
If you don't enjoy the music, it is bad to you.
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: The people who realize when music is bad and has shallow emotional expression or character are the ones who have true taste in music.
Taste in music, like taste in foods or taste in colors, is, again, completely relative to the the observer.
No "true" taste in music exists.
I've always found it stupid how people judge others based on their taste in music. 'You shouldn't like that noise in your ear, you're stupid if you like that noise. Listen to the noise i'm listening to in my ear'. Somebody famous said that, i can't remember who.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I've always found it stupid how people judge others based on their taste in music. 'You shouldn't like that noise in your ear, you're stupid if you like that noise. Listen to the noise i'm listening to in my ear'. Somebody famous said that, i can't remember who.

My noise is better than your noise! It's like saying someone is stupid for liking a certain movie. Doesn't make any sense.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
There's a creature called Haifa Wahbe, I think the only reason men like her is because of her sex appeal
(October 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I've always found it stupid how people judge others based on their taste in music. 'You shouldn't like that noise in your ear, you're stupid if you like that noise. Listen to the noise i'm listening to in my ear'. Somebody famous said that, i can't remember who.

This guy thinks music is noise. That pretty much says it all.

(October 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm)LostLocke Wrote:
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: I think we can all agree that some things are emotionally shallow and some things are emotionally rich.
I don't agree.
Actually, I take that back, I do agree. But, what I find emotionally "shallow" or emotionally "rich" are completely relative to me.
Everyone's opinions are valid, and there is no right or wrong answer to this.
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: So the stupid who think their music is good don't know that their music is bad.
If you enjoy the music, it is good to you.
If you don't enjoy the music, it is bad to you.
(October 16, 2014 at 11:50 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: The people who realize when music is bad and has shallow emotional expression or character are the ones who have true taste in music.
Taste in music, like taste in foods or taste in colors, is, again, completely relative to the the observer.
No "true" taste in music exists.

We can agree that if someone likes McDonalds more than a real quality hamburger then they have shit. Damn, that was easy to refute...
Justin Bieber won't answer my texts. **weeping**
This..might come as a surprise to you MLA, but there aren't any standards of what makes 'good' music and 'bad' music. Different people have different tastes, it's by defintion subjective because it depends on the subject that experiences the music. Even if there were objective standards, I certainly wouldn't accept the claim that you know what they are.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 16, 2014 at 2:12 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: This..might come as a surprise to you MLA, but there aren't any standards of what makes 'good' music and 'bad' music. Different people have different tastes, it's by defintion subjective because it depends on the subject that experiences the music. Even if there were objective standards, I certainly wouldn't accept the claim that you know what they are.

So you think it's okay that people listen to shitty music.
Yes. Why wouldn't it be okay? I'm not the arbiter of "good music" and "bad music" and the judge that deems a song one or the other, and it's really arrogant to think that you are. People like different things. So what. I listen to music I enjoy and don't listen to music I don't enjoy. Simple.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Blast from the past. Plus bad spelling. Brian37 24 964 December 2, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Lord Of The Cops, 50 Shades of Bad Ass. Brian37 28 2025 October 15, 2020 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Tongue Bad movie alert thread. Gawdzilla Sama 20 1521 December 26, 2018 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Breaking Bad. not so bad. Foxaèr 42 2774 August 27, 2016 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Bad Movies Unlimited StealthySkeptic 38 6647 September 10, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Breaking Bad! CleanShavenJesus 1 686 July 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Good music is....good Dean-o 7 2550 June 25, 2011 at 11:39 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The Museum Of Bad Art sacrilicious 0 825 April 19, 2011 at 10:16 am
Last Post: sacrilicious