Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:04 pm

Poll: Does Universal/Absolute Truth exist?
This poll is closed.
Yes
12.50%
1 12.50%
No
87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth?
Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth?
Hello!
By this I mean do you believe truths exist that are ALWAYS true regardless of time, location, or circumstance? I don't intend to challenge any belief in this thread... I am simply taking note of them and categorizing them statistically.

Universal/Absolute truth would imply the existence of God, as it goes beyond chemical reaction and matter. It is a spiritual concept, for instance "thou shalt do no murder" would be considered by a theist to be universally/absolutely true. "For God so loved the world" would be another truth they recognize as universal.

So does the Atheist believe in a spiritual concept, or do they believe absolute/universal truth does not exist?

When you vote, please offer your thoughts as well, and thank you very much!
Do you recall what was revealed the day the music died?
RE: Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth?
(October 30, 2014 at 6:32 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote: Hello!
By this I mean do you believe truths exist that are ALWAYS true regardless of time, location, or circumstance? I don't intend to challenge any belief in this thread... I am simply taking note of them and categorizing them statistically.

Universal/Absolute truth would imply the existence of God, as it goes beyond chemical reaction and matter. It is a spiritual concept, for instance "thou shalt do no murder" would be considered by a theist to be universally/absolutely true. "For God so loved the world" would be another truth they recognize as universal.

So does the Atheist believe in a spiritual concept, or do they believe absolute/universal truth does not exist?

Your question is too broad. Do you mean ideas? morals? rules? laws?
There appear to be universal truths about the physical universe, but I suspect you don't mean that.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I believe absolute reality exists. If it didn't exist, it wouldn't be real. Truth = that which is real.

Sounds like an axiom.

How much we humans have access to that reality is the debatable part.

As for any other kinds of "truth", those would seem to fall into the subjective camp.
(October 30, 2014 at 6:37 pm)Chas Wrote:

Your question is too broad. Do you mean ideas? morals? rules? laws?
There appear to be universal truths about the physical universe, but I suspect you don't mean that.

I am posting this for theists in another section. This is specifically referring to moral truth.
Did you really need to post the same thing in two threads?

Oh well,
morality is a mental construct of humans, there is no absolute truth about it.
However there are universal truths, which you can consider to be absolute for now, at least until we find a different universe with different set of rules.

And for the umpteenth time

Truth/Pattern/Beauty/e.t.c DOES NOT imply god.

Please update the poll question to reflect that you specifically mean universal moral truth.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Why does absolute truth imply God, as you claim?

Anyways, so you are referring to moral truth here, right? May I ask what that means, moral truth?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Truth is contingent upon reality; a statement cannot be true without a real world of which it can describe an accurate aspect thereof. If reality- context- changes, then so does the corresponding truth. For example, the statement "the sky is blue," is true right now relative to me, because it's a cloudless day where I am, and it's sunny out. However, in a few hours the sun will set, and that statement will become false, whereas the statement accurately describing the color of the sunset will become true.

Quote: Universal/Absolute truth would imply the existence of God, as it goes beyond chemical reaction and matter.

Not necessarily. It would just mean that that truth is consistent across all of reality, and stably so. Hell, without even demonstrating that god is the only thing "beyond chemical reaction and matter," there would be numerous other possibilities, even if we took your assertion at face value.

Quote: It is a spiritual concept, for instance "thou shalt do no murder" would be considered by a theist to be universally/absolutely true.

But that's not a truth statement, it's a command. It is neither true, nor false. Even if you say it's a command from god, it's only reflective of god's orders, possibly his opinions beyond that, certainly not some objective or absolute truth. It's not a statement that describes reality, how could it be determined true or false?

Now, if you were to formulate it correctly, say "it is morally wrong to murder," well, I think you'd find leeway even there. Is it morally wrong to murder, even if that one murder is the only way to save ten more, say, from a serial killer? What about a hundred lives for that one? A thousand?

Quote: "For God so loved the world" would be another truth they recognize as universal.

Well, at least that one's a truth statement, kinda. Still pretty subjective, though. Hard to demonstrate.

Quote: So does the Atheist believe in a spiritual concept, or do they believe absolute/universal truth does not exist?

I reject that it is a spiritual concept.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: I believe absolute reality exists. If it didn't exist, it wouldn't be real. Truth = that which is real.

Sounds like an axiom.

As for any other kinds of "truth", those would seem to fall into the subjective camp.

Yes, ut this is specifically referring to moral truths... do you believe in an absolutely true universal moral law?

(October 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: I believe absolute reality exists. If it didn't exist, it wouldn't be real. Truth = that which is real.

Sounds like an axiom.

Yes, but this is specifically referring to moral truths... do you believe in an absolutely true universal moral law?
(October 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote: Yes, but this is specifically referring to moral truths... do you believe in an absolutely true universal moral law?

I suggest that, in the future, ask the question you mean to ask.

Maybe you or a Mod can fix the poll question.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote: Yes, ut this is specifically referring to moral truths... do you believe in an absolutely true universal moral law?

No.

Quote:Yes, but this is specifically referring to moral truths... do you believe in an absolutely true universal moral law?

No.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5032 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9679 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 451590 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2319 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8123 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2772 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13483 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4043 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6596 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 559 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer