Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Ship Two crashes, one dead.
Space Ship Two crashes, one dead.
http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/...aly-103114
MOJAVE, Calif. - Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashed Friday morning during a test flight at Mojave Air and Spaceport.

Officials with the California Highway Patrol confirmed that one of the pilots died in the crash and the second pilot is currently listed with major injuries.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Space Ship Two crashes, one dead.
That's a real shame.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Been a bad week for private space ventures.
Yeah, that's true. I mean, I kind of support it, because maybe that means NASA has less to spends on. Apparently they will send a man to orbit again in 2017, but I'll be curious to see if these two events slow things down. I do enjoy watching launches on the web, but don't want people dying for it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
To be honest, it doesn't surprise me. How many manned NASA spaceships have experienced serious problems or crashes? Remember Space Shuttle Columbia? The biggest tragedy of that crash was that the mission was so stupid and unnecessary in the first place.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Spaceship 2 is solely for the tourist trade. Folks that want to go up 100 kilometers, experience 5 minutes of zero G, and speeds of Mach 3.

Shame there was a fatality.
Yes I understand that, the ship itself never actually leaves the atmosphere. But it still has to be propelled extremely far from the Earth's surface in order to experience weightlessness.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(October 31, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Aractus Wrote: To be honest, it doesn't surprise me. How many manned NASA spaceships have experienced serious problems or crashes? Remember Space Shuttle Columbia? The biggest tragedy of that crash was that the mission was so stupid and unnecessary in the first place.

Not to mention Apollo 1 and Challenger.

Spaceflight, even near-space, is an extremely dangerous enterprise. I don't see how it can be otherwise so long as we have manned capsules sitting on top of hundreds of thousands of pounds of oxidizer and fuel.
It's very sad, but this was bound to happen with any new technology like this. If we get it to work, horizontally launched spacecraft should be far more efficient than crude rockets.
Yes, at the moment it's just a "rich mans toy" but so was the internal combustion engine in the early 1900's
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 1, 2014 at 2:04 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 31, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Aractus Wrote: To be honest, it doesn't surprise me. How many manned NASA spaceships have experienced serious problems or crashes? Remember Space Shuttle Columbia? The biggest tragedy of that crash was that the mission was so stupid and unnecessary in the first place.

Not to mention Apollo 1 and Challenger.

Spaceflight, even near-space, is an extremely dangerous enterprise. I don't see how it can be otherwise so long as we have manned capsules sitting on top of hundreds of thousands of pounds of oxidizer and fuel.

We don't know if this crash is in anyway space related. If the 747 carrying the shuttle crashes, that's not because space flight is a dangerous enterprise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The latest billionaire space circle jerk. Brian37 38 2389 September 28, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  It takes two. Brian37 4 449 April 29, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3180 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  US Oil Market Crashes BrianSoddingBoru4 42 3338 April 23, 2020 at 8:17 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Saudi Arabia: Two Saudi girls who flee to the U.S.A for asylum, were found dead WinterHold 1 591 October 31, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman 'would not last two weeks' without US support WinterHold 2 485 October 7, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad? Angrboda 16 612 September 13, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Space Force? Minimalist 37 3004 August 10, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2061 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Now There Are Two Reasons To Toss George Will Out Minimalist 5 768 June 29, 2018 at 8:50 am
Last Post: oldpollock