Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 3:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about writing/typing.
A question about writing/typing.
... does writing/typing out your thoughts even if no one else were to see them - have much more of an effect on yourself than if you just thought them in your head?

I mean, maybe thoughts can be easier to compile in writing form even if it's for your own sake? I never really know whether it helps or not... - is it only ever beneficial if others can see/hear it too?

Is there a point in writing a journal if you could know for sure that it will never be discovered or read by someone else? (for instance).

EvF
RE: A question about writing/typing.
I am used to squatting down ideas I get all the time. I've found that ideas written down often don't resemble the original at all. On 'paper' the choice of words can get in the way or certain words may steer in a direction not anticipated. Sometimes this is good because the idea on paper benefits from it or is better articulated, sometimes it is detrimental to the original concept. I guess I haven't found the answer or right approach as of yet and that this battle of idea versus paper will continue on for quite some time.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Thank you for your response.

EvF
I prefer a huge whiteboard. It makes diagramming out ideas fun and has an aura of temporary, enforcing action before too long (full whiteboards look icky).
Writing helps. Talking it through helps. I don't like writing down ideas half formulated... it's then I start to struggle with words and can miss the original point. I prefer most writing down well rehearsed thoughts. Once you have a structure that helps to clarify complex thoughts.
I've always written down, knowing that no one will read it, except me at a later point in time. Reflexively getting to know yourself does help in some degree. I've also writtend blurbs about interesting points in my life down for use later in literal stories or poetry. I find it working out priorities and problems on a white board very , very usefull nad use it on a 2-3 times a week basis.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I've got snooping parents, they're way of half arsed parenting is to go through my stuff and fuck with my head.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
(February 8, 2010 at 3:28 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: I've got snooping parents, they're way of half arsed parenting is to go through my stuff and fuck with my head.

So sorry to hear that.

My parents just want to keep in touch with me every couple of days via Skype. Its hard for me - because I cannot help but feel worse when I've screwed up and have to come to terms with it. My father calls it "coming to Jesus". I call it confronting oneself.
I don't really journal but I'm only guessing it can be very therapeutic.
I draw a lot. Whenever I think of something I doodle it on a4, notebooks, in cad, in paint shop pro, whatever I have at hand. It helps me organise my thoughts. With writing or typing text I don't have that same experience.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valk's is writing for Disney?? no one 3 503 August 27, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics? GODZILLA 7 1149 May 12, 2019 at 7:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I have decided to stop writing poetry. Brian37 0 336 April 1, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
Exclamation Writing Aractus 4 1020 March 24, 2016 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Aractus
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 9497 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  Books on writing/language? FallentoReason 5 1572 November 13, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Rainbow Story writing game Tea Earl Grey Hot 20 4503 December 12, 2012 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Darkstar
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 19060 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Lyric Writing searchingforanswers 6 1766 October 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: searchingforanswers
  Writing Giff 10 4870 April 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet