Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waking Dreams
Waking Dreams
The other day I was talking with my wife about a show she was watching called "The Dead Files". For those who don't know, our views on the spiritual are interestingly opposed. I'm a deist who doesn't believe in souls or an afterlife. She's an atheist who does believe in spirits or ghosts.

Anyway, I walked in as a person on the show was being interviewed about her paranormal experience. She was having a nightmare about a sinister ghost. When she woke up, the ghost was still standing there by her bed.

I shrugged and said no big deal. It's rare but it does happen. When I was a kid, the subject of my childhood nightmares sometimes lingered for a few moments after I woke up. They would fade away after a few seconds. It was frightening but after the first time I remember it happening, I figured that our imagination keeps the dream going for a few seconds as we wake up. It's funny how looking back that even in childhood I would try to find natural explanations for these things. I was a budding skeptic, I suppose.

It was a rare experience and it hasn't happened to me since puberty.

She looked at me sideways, in a sort of "seriously?" expression. She's never had that experience and doesn't think it's normal or natural at all. Dreams always end when we wake. They never "linger".

Anyone know anything about this? Was it childhood imagination that got the best of my senses? Does this sort of thing happen to others?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Waking Dreams
Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Quote:Many people who experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror when they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. A neurological interpretation of this phenomenon is that it results from a hyper-vigilant state created in the midbrain.[9] More specifically, the emergency response is activated in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack.[10] This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical of normal dreams, which could explain why such visions during sleep paralysis are so vivid
(November 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: ... sleep paralysis ...

Not quite. I could move when I woke. It's just what I saw lingered until it faded a few seconds later. This is more like a hallucination.
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
Re: RE: Waking Dreams
(November 3, 2014 at 1:57 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I'm a deist who doesn't believe in souls or an afterlife. She's an atheist who does believe in spirits or ghosts.

Sounds like both of you have issues with reality.
There isn't a simple dividing line between being awake and asleep. Our consciousness flows back and forth in a malleable fashion with there being different layers of alertness. Plus, you have to realize that the brain is comprised of several different regions of neurons that process their own sub-functions independently of the main function of the brain as a whole. So, when the brain attempts to awaken, one function can lag behind another creating a sort of fuzzy state of consciousness in which we perceive a blurring of the two realities.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm)KUSA Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 1:57 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I'm a deist who doesn't believe in souls or an afterlife. She's an atheist who does believe in spirits or ghosts.

Sounds like both of you have issues with reality.

So, do you feel better for having gotten that off your chest?

I guess being decent is difficult for some folks.

(November 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: ... sleep paralysis ...

Not quite. I could move when I woke. It's just what I saw lingered until it faded a few seconds later. This is more like a hallucination.

Hypopompic hallucination. It's fairly common.
Re: RE: Waking Dreams
(November 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm)KUSA Wrote: Sounds like both of you have issues with reality.

Yes I do. It feels like I shot a hot load in somebody's face. Very satisfying.
(November 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm)KUSA Wrote: Sounds like both of you have issues with reality.

Meh. Water off a duck's back. I actually chuckled a bit.
I get sleep paralysis pretty often. I sleep right through it nowadays. When I was younger it scared the shit out of me. One time in particular, I was 15 or so (still a Christian), and in my dream I was in a car accident when the sleep paralysis kicked in. My whole body started buzzing to the point that it was audible in my ears. I think my brain must have interpreted the buzzing as voices. The voices got louder and louder until they stopped, save one voice that said "Jesus is coming." At which point I shit my pants (not literally) and did my shakey foot technique I use to snap myself out of it (my foot never actually shakes irl). I woke up with the blanket over my face and wasn't about to peek out. I thought Jesus would be standing there, pissed at me for whatever. Haha Those were the good times. It's pretty boring these days.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to have lucid dreams? WinterHold 85 5821 May 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dreams Heat 3 939 December 22, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Trouble waking up Exian 46 5406 September 8, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Cave of Forgotten Dreams Epimethean 0 944 June 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Epimethean