Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Christian denominations than bible verses
More Christian denominations than bible verses
Fun Fact: There are more Christian denominations today than there are bible verses

There are around 31,103 verses in the bible whereas there are nearly 40,000 Christian denominations. Doubt there has been any book or subject in history that has sowed so much confusion.

And it just keeps splitting and splitting, it is something that I think is inherent in the religion itself. Even during the time of Paul they were already creating sects. I think one of the main reasons for this is that religious epistemology is simply inadequate to settle anything.

Source for the number of denominations: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm
Number of verses in the bible: http://www.deafmissions.com/tally/bkchptrvrs.html
RE: More Christian denominations than bible verses
And the Bible is repetitive
(November 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: And the Bible is repetitive

Well, so are the denominations
(November 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm)miniboes Wrote:
(November 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: And the Bible is repetitive

Well, so are the denominations
Which is why the observation of the OP is fallacious. Most differences are just cultural, reflect different ways of worshiping and/or ethnic identity. Most theological differences fall within a fairly narrow spectrum of debates about the role of baptism, church hierarchy, etc. The vast majority agree on the major theological points.
(November 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(November 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm)miniboes Wrote: Well, so are the denominations
Which is why the observation of the OP is fallacious. Most differences are just cultural, reflect different ways of worshiping and/or ethnic identity. Most theological differences fall within a fairly narrow spectrum of debates about the role of baptism, church hierarchy, etc. The vast majority agree on the major theological points.

Actually, I kinda agree. It's a fun fact though!
If they're not that different, will they burn in hell?
(November 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm)Dolorian Wrote: Fun Fact: There are more Christian denominations today than there are bible verses

There are around 31,103 verses in the bible whereas there are nearly 40,000 Christian denominations. Doubt there has been any book or subject in history that has sowed so much confusion.

And it just keeps splitting and splitting, it is something that I think is inherent in the religion itself. Even during the time of Paul they were already creating sects. I think one of the main reasons for this is that religious epistemology is simply inadequate to settle anything.

Source for the number of denominations: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm
Number of verses in the bible: http://www.deafmissions.com/tally/bkchptrvrs.html

So?

What if i told you that biblical Christianity is not a religion based on rules, and a strict guideline of following rules??

What if Christianity as God intended was based soley off of two rules. To Love God with all of your being and to love your neighbor as yourself...
Everything else falls under the attonement in which Christianity is based.

This would mean that it is far more important to worship God in a way true to your unique gifts and capasities rather than following one set of rules.

With the Jews God gave them one set of rules. For some, the rules were so hard they fail to follow them correctly.. For others the rules were so easy they became hypocritical in their worship.

So the Fix Jesus put in place, commands that we simply do our best. Now because we are all different, our best will look different.. How different? well according to your numbers 30 or 40K kinds of different.

Because it is a far greater sin for one to go through the motions of worship, than for one to seek out like minded brothers and worship in a way consistant with the limits of what God gave them.
(November 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm)Drich Wrote: To Love God with all of your being and to love your neighbor as yourself...

1. I cannot love a being where no reciprocation of love is evident due to the fact that there is no evidence for the being's existence.

2. Loving myself would be considered sinful pride. If I cannot love myself, then I cannot love my neighbor as I would love myself.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Speaking of love, if your god exists, Drich he is truly the most unloving being I can imagine.
(November 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm)Drich Wrote: So?

What if i told you that biblical Christianity is not a religion based on rules, and a strict guideline of following rules??

What if Christianity as God intended was based soley off of two rules. To Love God with all of your being and to love your neighbor as yourself...

This would mean that it is far more important to worship God in a way true to your unique gifts and capasities rather than following one set of rules.

With the Jews God gave them one set of rules. For some, the rules were so hard they fail to follow them correctly.. For others the rules were so easy they became hypocritical in their worship.

So the Fix Jesus put in place, commands that we simply do our best. Now because we are all different, our best will look different.. How different? well according to your numbers 30 or 40K kinds of different.

Because it is a far greater sin for one to go through the motions of worship, than for one to seek out like minded brothers and worship in a way consistant with the limits of what God gave them.

If all this crap was correct, then all your prior insistence on Biblical Christianity is bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 608 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God's preferred denominations LinuxGal 1 905 November 26, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43897 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87836 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 28824 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2097 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 14424 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8804 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 14322 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1269 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am