Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Admit It
I Admit It
...I'm not an atheist. I'm an agnostic. Two weeks ago, I would have told you I believe in god, but I can't really buy that. I've been told my entire life that if I loved god, then I would obey him. Everyone made it sound like it was a natural thing ("let go and let god" they said).

Well, I let go, and now--if god exists, if he wants me--it's his turn. I don't know if he exists or not. I don't know if we can know. Sure, he might not make sense, but at the same time, a lot of things don't make sense; it doesn't mean they don't exist.

All that having been said, I'm not here to lock horns with atheists, or anyone else. I'm here because I'm still dealing with the PTSD (yes, it's been diagnosed) that the church contributed to. I need support from people who understand what I've gone through. I was a slave to the Southern Baptist Convention for eighteen years, and to the poison of condemnation in Christ for another eleven years.

My name is Rob. I'm open to any questions you might have, and I'd appreciate hearing if there are people who have been in my shoes who are here as well.
RE: I Admit It
Welcome!

I don't really understand what you've been through, but others here certainly do!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome.

Nothing wrong with agnosticism, so no locking horns here as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I describe myself as an agnostic atheist.

I'm an ex-Catholic of nearly 17 years, though, technically, I stopped believing 5 years before that.
Dying to live, living to die.
Agnostic Atheist here, and have a lot of experience helping people with PTSD. (Not a doctor, mind you, but I have training to counsel Marines/Soldiers coming from theater)

I hope this forum is a good outlet for you. There is some real good science behind anonymity in dealing with PTSD.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome from an agnostic atheist Smile
(November 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm)Servatum Wrote: Everyone made it sound like it was a natural thing ("let go and let god" they said).

[Image: 55947980.jpg]

Welcome to the forums Cool Shades
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Welcome I'm an agnostic atheist as to the possibility of a god of any kind. Gnostic atheist as to Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, . . .
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome

Your current condition is what led me towards atheism
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Okay, welcome.

(November 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome

Your current condition is what led me towards atheism
When did you convert to atheism Kichi?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Re: RE: I Admit It
(November 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm)Servatum Wrote: ...I'm not an atheist. I'm an agnostic.

You will find that there is not much difference, semantics really.

Welcome aboard. I hope you can shake the trauma that the church put on you.