Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Censorship of Ideas
Censorship of Ideas
So I posted a link last night in the shoutbox to an email I wrote to the Student's Union of Royal Holloway over their censorship of free speech. Here is the email in full:

To Whom It May Concern,

I was absolutely astounded at the decision of the Student's Union to cancel the lunchtime bookings made by the Christian Union at Royal Holloway. Before I continue, let it be known that I am not a Christian, nor do I support the views held by the Christian Union in the slightest. I am the president of the Royal Holloway Secular Students group on campus, and despite our differences we have had a positive relationship with the Christian Union during the last 3 years. This relationship has enabled us to have several engaging debates on issues such as religion and the existence of God. It was at one of these debates ("Can we know God?") last night that I was informed by a member of the Christian Union about the SU's aforementioned decision.

I am writing to you to express my outrage and utter disbelief over this decision, which I believe was made without proper consideration or rationalisation. Firstly, the email that was sent to cancel these events and offer the refund of the fees paid was undeniably vague, alluding to something "wholly inappropriate" that had apparently caused "controversy" at the lunch event on Tuesday 9th February. I later learned (from an unverified source, so please correct me if this is wrong) that this controversial, inappropriate idea was that God had caused the Asian tsunami as some sort of punishment.

If this is indeed the cause of the controversy, I can completely understand why. Such an idea is not only irrational, but blatantly disrespectful of the people, and families of people lost in that terrible tragedy. You may wonder then, why I am so against your decision. It is because, as a rationalist and sceptic, I cannot abide censorship of any form. All ideas, especially the controversial ones, are valid for discussion. Our entire modern culture, science, and political system is built on radical inappropriate ideas being discussed openly without fear. The strength of the ideology of free speech is that anyone can have an opinion, no-matter how absurd or offensive, because at the end of the day, those on the opposition have the same freedom to refute the absurdities.

It is unbelievable that at a university, a place where the very discussion of ideas forms part of the purpose of the institution, censorship of an idea can take place under the guise of "not being suitable" as you stated in your email. By disallowing the presentation of an idea, the Student's Union has issued a statement; that it has the control over what students can think, what we can discuss in public, what ideas are "correct" and which are not. If anything is inappropriate here, it is the use of political correctness at an institution where the search for truth, whatever that truth might be, should be held as the highest form of being. I ask you, what is the purpose of our education if we cannot question what we are taught, challenge ideas where we see fit, and discuss the alternative possibilities openly?

I plead you to see reason, and let the Christian Union continue to host talks, preach, and cause controversy. Controversy feeds the mind; it allows us to think about new ideas, to explore them, and to refute them. Causing controversy is a right protected by the freedom of speech; getting offended by such controversy and using that offence to censor ideas, is not. By all means, be offended, shout, scream with a fiery passion, but for the sake of the freedoms which we hold dear, do not stoop to the level of censoring ideas! As I have previously stated, there isn't much agreement to be had between my society and the Christian Union, yet I respect their right to have the opinions they do, as long as they respect my right to disagree with them. We debate them annually to share our views with those who might not have heard them before, to challenge notions that may be held dear, and to make known our disagreement in an intellectual forum.

I have sent a copy of this email to my friends, to members of the Royal Holloway Secular Students, and to members of the Christian Union. I will give them instructions to forward it to you if they support the freedom of speech and the discussion of ideas as much as I do. I hope this will make you see the irrationality behind your decision. If not, and if the Christian Union are still prohibited from speaking at the end of the week, I am quite prepared to send this letter to the Founder, the NUS, and as many media organisations connected to students as possible. I honestly hope it does not come to that, but if it must, it must.

--
Tiberius

President, Royal Holloway Secular Students
Secretary, National Federation of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies
RE: Censorship of Ideas
Well written and great letter. More tolerance on both sides is a beautiful thing.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Did all the christians make the case for divine punishment or was it just one vocal arsehole?
Shouldnt change anything just curious.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I don't think tolerance has anything to do with it. If you block any idea from discussion by declaring it off limits then it can never be challenged or resolved.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
College campus' are not a democracy. It is a business. They are not censoring ideas, just stopping debates. You really can't censor an idea unless you cut off everyone's head.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Good letter Adrian,imagine how much better it would have been if you went to a real university.

runs
(February 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm)padraic Wrote: Good letter Adrian,imagine how much better it would have been if you went to a real university.

runs
What is wrong with Royal Holloway exactly? My department (Information Security) is world renowned...
(February 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm)LEDO Wrote: College campus' are not a democracy. It is a business. They are not censoring ideas, just stopping debates. You really can't censor an idea unless you cut off everyone's head.

Quoted for truth. Technically, at least here, they are government supported research entities with the same morphology of any federal beaurocracy, hence no democracy.

That said, can you give us some more context of the situation at hand other than hearsay?
What more context do you want? A Christian speaker said something stupid, someone complained, and they got banned.
Fucking excellent email Adrian - way to go for standing up for what's right.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2224 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Going to a Protest and I Need Sign Ideas Seraphina 8 777 June 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Old ideas in politics need terms Foxaèr 3 866 February 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Good ideas from the other side. paulpablo 13 2188 May 29, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 100 11130 November 30, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Two wrong ideas on free speech Dystopia 0 824 July 22, 2015 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Burma abolished media censorship. 5thHorseman 2 1130 August 20, 2012 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Britian Courts Censorship to stop riots. Jaysyn 9 2343 August 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A few ideas regarding rebalancing the economy theVOID 10 2729 February 21, 2011 at 9:41 am
Last Post: theVOID