Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time..
Time..
Time doesn't exist.. apparently... as a day doesn't exist away from the Earth.

And on Earth your feet are older than your head (or the other way round)... due to gravity.

So we only know the immediate now.... so what is the past... and the future? are they not constructs of time?

And what is time?

Can anyone respond to that in two minutes on a forum?
RE: Time..
Time is the fourth dimension of spacetime, and it does indeed exist.

Days exist away from the Earth. It's just that exoplanetary days have differing length, according to the local rotational period.

The past are the days that came before this one.

The future are those days that have yet to pass.

(November 11, 2014 at 6:42 pm)lifesagift Wrote: And what is time?

Depends on who you ask: Newton, Kant, Einstein/Minkowski, or numerous others.

It's not a precisely settled question.
Quote:And on Earth your feet are older than your head

No wonder my feet hurt.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Time is the fourth dimension of spacetime, and it does indeed exist.

Days exist away from the Earth. It's just that exoplanetary days have differing length, according to the local rotational period.

The past are the days that came before this one.

The future are those days that have yet to pass.

The fact you continue saying "days" disappoints lol
(November 11, 2014 at 6:53 pm)lifesagift Wrote: The fact you continue saying "days" disappoints lol

I'm a human, I'm going to use human measures. If you want time expressed in terms of atomic vibrations, post this thread to the Naval Observatory in Annapolis. This isn't a technical forum.

Time is the measure of entropy of space.
Quote:People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(November 11, 2014 at 6:53 pm)lifesagift Wrote: The fact you continue saying "days" disappoints lol

I'm a human, I'm going to use human measures. If you want time expressed in terms of atomic vibrations, post this thread to the Naval Observatory in Annapolis. This isn't a technical forum.

Oh get over yourself mate... if you're in that sort of mood stop posting from a place of value ! FFS

Are you lot drunk... And angry in some quarters...?

Time is like heat... hotter near a hot thing..

Time is quicker near a gravity thing...

Friendly wink to fire you intellectual lot up... ;o)
Time is the universe's way to keep everything from happening at once.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9867 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time franca 2 2301 October 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Jackalope