Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, how do you do?
Smile 
Why, how do you do?
Greetings Smile

I'm BioLogos, more commonly known as Matt. BioLogos just means Theistic Evolution but sounds cooler. I'm a "moderate" Christian (by my own self-defined standards). So why am I here? I like talking with reasonable people, and generally atheists (and those who hang around with them) are a good reasonable bunch. Smile

Some more about me:
  • I'm a trainee maths teacher.
  • I'm 22.
  • I live in Southampton.
  • I go to an Anglican church (Anglicans are defined as "those who believe all true propositions" and they have a strong preference for tea).
  • Ales and red wines are my beverages of choice (these are well-combined with pizza and roast beef respectively).
  • I love reading about religion, philosophy, history, etc, though rarely non-fiction (though I've always loved Douglas Adams).
  • I hate politics, and shall almost certainly be spoiling my paper in this year's election.
  • I like my music either quirky or deep - from Zappa to Joni Mitchell.
  • Anything else you'd like to know? Just ask. Smile
RE: Why, how do you do?
(February 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm)BioLogos Wrote: Greetings Smile
I'm BioLogos, Anything else you'd like to know? Just ask. Smile

Can a swallow carry a coconut from the tropics to England?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(February 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm)Dotard Wrote: Can a swallow carry a coconut from the tropics to England?

Ni!
Greetings! Another teacher! And you seem to be able to read and write! Impressive!
(February 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: And you seem to be able to read and write!
Only barely: I'm a mathematician.
Tell me: is it only a spell checker that makes you sound coherent? Tongue
(February 12, 2010 at 1:07 pm)BioLogos Wrote:
(February 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: And you seem to be able to read and write!
Awesome Big Grin

You should have been here for our 0.999... = 1 discussions.
Is infinity really a number or simply a concept dreamed up by mathematicians that has no place in the real world? Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Infinity is a mathematical concept; it can't exist in the real world (unless the non-observable universe is infinite). This is why physicists have trouble understanding what happens in a black hole, because their calculations always have infinities in them which isn't good in a finite universe.

Of course in mathematics you have two types of infinity, countable and non-countable. The set of all integers between 0 and positive infinity is countably infinite in size, same as the set of all integers between 0 and negative infinity. The set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 is non-countably infinite.
(February 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(February 12, 2010 at 1:07 pm)BioLogos Wrote:
Awesome Big Grin

You should have been here for our 0.999... = 1 discussions.

Oh boy. Please tell me the dissenters were kicked out.
(February 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Infinity is a mathematical concept; it can't exist in the real world (unless the non-observable universe is infinite). This is why physicists have trouble understanding what happens in a black hole, because their calculations always have infinities in them which isn't good in a finite universe.

Of course in mathematics you have two types of infinity, countable and non-countable. The set of all integers between 0 and positive infinity is countably infinite in size, same as the set of all integers between 0 and negative infinity. The set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 is non-countably infinite.

Since [0,1] is uncountable, there exist uncountably many points along any finite length in the universe. Why is this not a counterexample to your statement in bold?