Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crusader Kings II
Crusader Kings II
Been looking at this game for a while and it's finally up for sale on Steam (75% off, get it quick if you're interested), so I bought it.

For those who don't know about this game, I guess a couple of links:
http://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-review/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II

So yeah, anyone else got this game? I love the idea of all the political interactions and it just seems like something I'd enjoy. I haven't played it yet, but I was just wondering if there's any tips for newbs or some things I should keep in mind. I've seen quite a few reviews tell me I'll make some mistakes early on and it has a bit of a learning curve. Also, there's a shit load of DLC, any that are recommended?

Looks like a good game, can't wait to get stuck into it all day tomorrow Big Grin
RE: Crusader Kings II
(December 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Been looking at this game for a while and it's finally up for sale on Steam (75% off, get it quick if you're interested), so I bought it.

For those who don't know about this game, I guess a couple of links:
http://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-review/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II

So yeah, anyone else got this game? I love the idea of all the political interactions and it just seems like something I'd enjoy. I haven't played it yet, but I was just wondering if there's any tips for newbs or some things I should keep in mind. I've seen quite a few reviews tell me I'll make some mistakes early on and it has a bit of a learning curve. Also, there's a shit load of DLC, any that are recommended?

Looks like a good game, can't wait to get stuck into it all day tomorrow Big Grin

It's an incredible game, sunk many hours into it! I recommend getting the Legacy of Rome DLC, (adds retinues to the game, which are small standing armies which makes war easier) plus the Old Gods (makes pagans playable and adds loads of stuff for vikings, plus adds a new start date in 867AD). The others are less necessary (I have the previously mentioned 2 plus Sons of Abraham, loads of graphical DLCs, plus Sunset Invasion).

If you're getting stuck on what to do, there are a few LPers on youtube that are helpful to watch, such as Arumba.

If you enjoy this, try out EU4, which is made by the same people but focuses on a different time frame.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Nice one Tobie! I've put about 36 hours in so far, it's addictive as fuck. Took a while to get the hang of it but it's easily one of the best strategy games I've played. I'll look into the Old Gods DLC, that looks like my kinda thing. Also I've just put a load of the faces DLC's in the game, only a small thing but it's amazing the difference it makes considering you will be looking at those faces all the time.

EU4 looks good too, but I prefer the medieval time frame, and also, I just think this one will give me enough content for now!
(December 31, 2014 at 12:43 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Nice one Tobie! I've put about 36 hours in so far, it's addictive as fuck. Took a while to get the hang of it but it's easily one of the best strategy games I've played. I'll look into the Old Gods DLC, that looks like my kinda thing. Also I've just put a load of the faces DLC's in the game, only a small thing but it's amazing the difference it makes considering you will be looking at those faces all the time.

EU4 looks good too, but I prefer the medieval time frame, and also, I just think this one will give me enough content for now!

The events that play out can be quite entertaining in themselves. In one game, I had 6 successive characters (father-son inheritance in all but one case) be imprisoned and castrated by their liege. It's not easy trying to secure your dynasty when you can't have any additional children and all your relatives in other courts are plotting to kill you as well as all the other dukes, who think you are too powerful.

One tip: if you ever get the "adventurer coming to your land" or "bloke gathering army to press his claims on your land" popups, assassinate them as soon as possible, otherwise they will destroy you.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
My younger brother has been playing this for... a large number of hours over the last few months, so I sprung and got it. I've only had enough time so far to do the tutorials and the sort of intro game, but I find myself sitting at work and thinking... "hey, I wish I was home trying to take over Ireland or something"
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(January 6, 2015 at 10:50 pm)TRJF Wrote: My younger brother has been playing this for... a large number of hours over the last few months, so I sprung and got it. I've only had enough time so far to do the tutorials and the sort of intro game, but I find myself sitting at work and thinking... "hey, I wish I was home trying to take over Ireland or something"

I actually really enjoyed the tutorial game, I continued on after my first king died and had to wait for his heir to come of age. You realize how shit it is to rely on a regent, because you can do basically fuck all.

Takes a while to get the swing of all the stuff in the game, but once you do it's one of the most addictive games you'll play. I don't think I've played a more enjoyable strategy game since Rome TW.
Resurrecting this to see if anyone else plays it.

I've been posting a lot on the CK2 reddit page, and I think I'm a bit of a boss at this game now. I'm even modding the shit out of it.

Problem is, I've hit a brick wall and I can't get into a new game. And it's really fucking annoying me. I wanted to start from the Old Gods start date in England as the king of Mercia, but I also wanted a custom ruler. Now, doing that is fine, but on top of this I wanted a custom created wife too. Turns out the ruler designer is only good for creating one character per save. Which sucks.

I've looked into portrait modding, because all I essentially want to do is be able to edit the portrait of any particular character, at pretty much any time. I downloaded one called 'portrait builder' but whenever I run it it doesn't manage to find the CK2 directory, even though I point the fucking thing to the exact right place.

Alas, for the last few days I've really wanted to get back into this game, but I can't unless I can start off with a custom ruler, custom wifey and custom everything else. Kinda annoying.