Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Sorry for the shortness. I'm curious about what everyone thinks of Alan Watts and his ideas.
RE: Alan Watts
(December 24, 2014 at 2:32 pm)JaceDeanLove Wrote: Sorry for the shortness. I'm curious about what everyone thinks of Alan Watts and his ideas.

I think "who is Alan Watts".

Wanna give us some clues there.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I am assuming that it is this fellow.

I don't have an opinion on him, as I had not heard of him until now.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
If all this zen shit is so great why is India a shithole?
(December 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If all this zen shit is so great why is India a shithole?

With zen it's a shithole but you don't care?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Via the agency of cultural equivalency, we are also living in a shithole too
(December 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If all this zen shit is so great why is India a shithole?

Before one studies Zen, shitholes are shitholes.
When one first glimpses the truth of Zen, shitholes are no longer shitholes.
After enlightenment, shitholes are once again shitholes.
Just another purveyor of meaningless, vapid, spiritual woo. If there is any cosmic justice, he and Ayn Rand are made to fuck on a daily basis in the afterlife.

Might I recommend James Watt? His contribution to humanity was far more significant.
(January 6, 2015 at 1:51 pm)Cato Wrote: Might I recommend James Watt? His contribution to humanity was far more significant.

Agreed, but make sure it's James Watt and not James G. Watt. Latter dude had some issues...
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Alan Watts? Isn't he lead singer of the lost prophets?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.