Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you lower
Can you lower
the minimum character requirement for the Search feature? I tried to do a search for CNN and was promptly advised I needed 4 characters. When you consider the number of 3-character acronyms - or even 3 letter words like 'sex' this seems a somewhat arbitrary cut off point.
RE: Can you lower
We can't, if we want to continue using the MySQL "Full Text" search setting (which is more powerful than the default standard search setting. Unfortunately, when "Full Text" search is enabled, we cannot set the minimum search term length to shorter than 4 characters.
On the bright side, it means that no one can come here to search for god. Big Grin
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
But they can still find fucking jesus.

Thanks, C/D.
What's also annoying is that one always has to wait for 30secs to do any other search if one like me uses the "Today's posts" function compulsively...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 29, 2014 at 5:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: What's also annoying is that one always has to wait for 30secs to do any other search if one like me uses the "Today's posts" function compulsively...

I find that annoying as well, as I also am a compulsive "Today's Posts" link masher. Sadly, that link is considered a search (even though I think it returns cached results), and is slightly expensive to perform (which is why searches are velocity checked to begin with). Short of a code change, I t think the only recourse is to change the velocity interval. I'd like some input from the other more experienced admins before doing so. It's not something I'm comfortable doing unilaterally.
(December 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: the minimum character requirement for the Search feature? I tried to do a search for CNN and was promptly advised I needed 4 characters. When you consider the number of 3-character acronyms - or even 3 letter words like 'sex' this seems a somewhat arbitrary cut off point.

I use google for a lot of searches as the forum post search is a bit wonky.

You can limit it to forum results using the "-site:atheistforums.org" modifier. The only drawback is that it takes a few days for things to show up there. A number of sites use a filtered google result as a search option. Perhaps a sitewide google search could be added to the forum somewhere.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Of course, there seems to be no such time restriction to perform a series of multiple "today's posts" requests, which I suppose are equally expensive?

(December 29, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 29, 2014 at 5:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: What's also annoying is that one always has to wait for 30secs to do any other search if one like me uses the "Today's posts" function compulsively...

I find that annoying as well, as I also am a compulsive "Today's Posts" link masher. Sadly, that link is considered a search (even though I think it returns cached results), and is slightly expensive to perform (which is why searches are velocity checked to begin with). Short of a code change, I t think the only recourse is to change the velocity interval. I'd like some input from the other more experienced admins before doing so. It's not something I'm comfortable doing unilaterally.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Correct. That resets, but does not test the 30 second countdown.

(December 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm)Alex K Wrote: Of course, there seems to be no such time restriction to perform a series of multiple "today's posts" requests, which I suppose are equally expensive?

(December 29, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I find that annoying as well, as I also am a compulsive "Today's Posts" link masher. Sadly, that link is considered a search (even though I think it returns cached results), and is slightly expensive to perform (which is why searches are velocity checked to begin with). Short of a code change, I t think the only recourse is to change the velocity interval. I'd like some input from the other more experienced admins before doing so. It's not something I'm comfortable doing unilaterally.
(December 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
(December 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: the minimum character requirement for the Search feature? I tried to do a search for CNN and was promptly advised I needed 4 characters. When you consider the number of 3-character acronyms - or even 3 letter words like 'sex' this seems a somewhat arbitrary cut off point.

I use google for a lot of searches as the forum post search is a bit wonky.

You can limit it to forum results using the "-site:atheistforums.org" modifier. The only drawback is that it takes a few days for things to show up there. A number of sites use a filtered google result as a search option. Perhaps a sitewide google search could be added to the forum somewhere.
I don't think google has access to the whole database do they? I would imagine (read: hope) that the google search is just a web spider?