Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to forum
new to forum
Hi, I am pretty new to all this so please be patient. I do not follow any religion but I do find that I believe in a creator. Maybe because so many things in nature seem so very impossible. I don't know....
Anyway the question I have is this. Afterlife. Do atheist believe in an afterlife? thanks
RE: new to forum
I think most feel it's going to be EXACTLY like pre-life.

So, you already know, if you just stop and think about it for a sec.
(January 6, 2015 at 1:11 am)emmasheba Wrote: Anyway the question I have is this. Afterlife. Do atheist believe in an afterlife? thanks
Nope. And boy am I glad.
I can't think of anything I'd want to do for more than fifteen million years.
Forever is way too long.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Well definitionaly, there is no atheist view about the afterlife. Not believing in a god does not preclude believing in an afterlife. But, practically speaking, I don't think you'll find many atheists who believe in an afterlife, or ghosts, esp, or unicorns, for that matter.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
What Jenny said.

I personally do not believe in a afterlife.
(January 6, 2015 at 1:11 am)emmasheba Wrote: Hi, I am pretty new to all this so please be patient. I do not follow any religion but I do find that I believe in a creator. Maybe because so many things in nature seem so very impossible. I don't know....
Anyway the question I have is this. Afterlife. Do atheist believe in an afterlife? thanks

Welcome emmasheba!

I'm sure some atheists manage to believe in an afterlife, since strictly speaking atheism does not prohibit other kinds of "supernatural" thinking - but I along with probably the majority of atheists take a materialistic point of view where our self is created by physical processes in the brain and expires completely when we die.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:Maybe because so many things in nature seem so very impossible.

Study up on it.

And to answer your question.

View My Video
(January 6, 2015 at 1:36 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I think most feel it's going to be EXACTLY like pre-life.

Mark Twain said it best -

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

(January 6, 2015 at 1:11 am)emmasheba Wrote: Maybe because so many things in nature seem so very impossible. I don't know....

Right.... tell me one thing that seems very impossible?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome

Just because you think something is incredible, doesn't mean it must be a creator. The truth is that you don't know...
Hi Emma, welcome Smile

Personally I don't believe in an afterlife. I've not heard very many atheists who do, but there's nothing stopping them. Don't buddhists have reincarnation and stuff, while being atheist? That's sort of like an afterlife I guess, but it makes just as little sense to me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm new to this forum... Jose 145 13472 June 10, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  New Forum: Angry Atheism Tiberius 56 15038 October 22, 2009 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: fr0d0