Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do never-theists come to atheist forums?
Why do never-theists come to atheist forums?
I'm curious why people who have never believed in religion would come to an atheist forum.

I was raised as a Christian, but I don't know if I would care about atheism if I had been raised as an atheist. (Of course people discuss all kinds of things besides atheism.) Just curious.
RE: Why do never-theists come to atheist forums?
(January 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I'm curious why people who have never believed in religion would come to an atheist forum.

I was raised as a Christian, but I don't know if I would care about atheism if I had been raised as an atheist. (Of course people discuss all kinds of things besides atheism.) Just curious.

Theists are funny and it passes the time.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I want to support other atheists who face persecution, and to discuss religious issues I don't have anyone else to talk to about. I think religion is a big problem and the more hands on deck the better.

And to have fun Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't think you need to have been part of a religion to feel affected by it. This is especially true if you're an atheist from say, Southern Europe, Latin America, The Middle East or Africa, where religion is still incredibly pervasive to where everyone is affected whether they believe or not.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I don't know? Maybe I like the company?

Seriously, I came because I'm surrounded by theists and I wanted to talk to someone else. I stay because I like it here.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
It's seductive and dangerous to never question ones basic beliefs.
From the reasoned give and take here I hone and polish my arguments and firmly held truths.

While continuously considering the proposition that my self congratulatory preening for being right all the time is simply confirmation bias.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(January 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I'm curious why people who have never believed in religion would come to an atheist forum.

To talk with like-minded people, jeez.

[Image: hRtKmqK.gif]
In 'murrica we are surrounded by xtian fuckheads. AF is an island of sanity in a nutty world.
Because people's beliefs inform their actions. Beliefs don't live in a vacuum. Many religious beliefs lead to real world negative consequences.

Many atheists that have never been theists still live in societies that may be largely theist. If the theists in that society try to get pseudoscience taught in public school science classes, prevent stem cell research, try to get "Scriptural Morality" based laws passed, etc never-theists are effected along with those that were once theists.

Having a place to come and discuss these issues is important. Especially if they live in areas where it may be dangerous to have your atheism be known.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'm not sure, if I can be counted a never theist, since of my 52 years I probably didn't give a shit about god for about 40 if not more. As far as I can remember, I always was the I don't care about religion guy.

It's the first atheist board I joined. And honestly, not because of atheism in it's label, but because of hoping to find like minded people to have interesting discussions with. And I haven't been dissapointed. It's true that atheists can believe in pretty much anything besides not believing in god. But my personal experience showed me, they're usually more open to most every issue in life, once the intellectual god-brake is removed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5190 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2983 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1813 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3655 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2490 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5144 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8783 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6633 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 9792 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1380 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods