Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp?
Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp?
I had to go for three summers in a row.

First one was around the time I was getting into dystopian fiction (that is, 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, odd bit of cyberpunk etc.), and the similarities with that type of stuff are striking.

Non Christian music was basically banned, interacting w/ opposite sex was discouraged. Got chewed out for spending the whole time reading books that weren't the bible. Spent several hours a day worshipping an asshole in the sky. After which, we spent an absurd amount of time doing bible study (gamified by a petty "how much can you memorise" competition). Everyone was expected to be biblical literalists. We were told that "the bible doesn't lie".

Mosquitoes were pretty bad and some people only had sandals. The walk to worshipie place was quite a way, and the mosquito bites turned into pretty nasty blisters for some. They were still forced to walk there because "one should go to any length to worship god".

We were made to memorise propaganda songs. Councillors walked around during worship and criticized people who didn't look sufficiently into it. That is, hand raised in a pseudo connection to god. Eyes closed. Swaying back and forth. Generally looking like you're on an LSD trip. Not sure if this is an actual thing, but some people started doing it. Was very Nazi-salute like.

Authority spent 24 hours a day with you. Ate meals with you. Watched you while you worshiped. Watched you (and tried to engage in conversational zealotry) while you rested. Watched you (from a sufficient number of beds away, wouldn't want to be gay) while you slept.

Man, this year I'm going to a fucking film school.
RE: Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp?
I went to Awana crap for a couple of summers after we returned from overseas. It wasn't a proper Bible camp, more of a day-camp, but yeah, programmatic and Orwellesque.

Glad for you that you're jumping off the treadmill.

Ah man, sorry you had to go through that. Those places should be illegal in my opinion. I'm sure plenty worse goes on behind closed doors too.

I'm impressed that your thinking skills were unchallenged even by the constant barrage of bullshit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Please god let someone have a story that involves an orgy.
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Every year for abou 6 years. Sometimes more than one per summer. A couple in the rapid city area of sd, one in the pierre area of sd.

Sorry. No orgies.

Edit: These were not day camps. Most were ~ 2 weeks long.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Appreciate the topic.

Thinking
That shit doesn't exist in my part of the world. I only heard it mention as if it was some kind of boot camp to indoctrinate you.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Sounds horrifying - and I'm a christian! Nothing like nazi style bible camps to chase a kid away from christianity.
@Parkers Tan:
Yeah, me too.

@robvalue
Yeah, the worst part is that (I think) pines is pretty tame compared to a lot of the ones down in the states. Or that "Kidnapped for Christ" movie (which I need to give a watch).

I like to think that when it comes to brainwashing, I'm one stubborn motherfucker.

@BlackMason:
Sadly, no orgy. I was like 12, though.

@Spooky:
Twice as many years as me. That sounds like hell, man.

I too had them for two weeks at a time.

@abaris:
Yeah, that's basically what it was. But we did crafts too, so there's that.

@Lek:
I know. Too think, if not for them I would might be a perfect little Christian right now.
I went to Ponderosa Bible Camp once. It was pretty fun. I also went to a place that was Chrysalis something, but we spent three days there with no clocks or watches, and they had an agape love theme. I hope you like physical contact, because you'll get it there. Fortunately this was before I decided I was an atheist, so I did hae fun at both these places. Especially chasing girls with lizards. I enjoyed that part, though the counselors discouraged it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp? NuclearEnergy 27 3607 April 9, 2017 at 7:12 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9713 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone else ever think like this? Jextin 10 2423 December 31, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anyone ever heard of Paul Vitz? orogenicman 11 3574 July 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  jesus camp video - could I ask you a favor? 420 9 3618 January 30, 2010 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Heart Camp Quest UK Kyrill 9 3077 January 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Kyrill