Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA and the missing day
NASA and the missing day
So yesterday my shaman-friend a.k.a. "weed guy" stopped by to show me his "rig" for smoking oil, or "dabs." After we got sufficiently high, we somehow got on the topic of Neil deGrasse Tyson, since my friend really enjoys "Cosmos," and from there, discussed the scientific method, which naturally, of course, digressed to the topic of religion. My friend was telling me that he's a Christian, and when I appeared skeptical, he offered the "story" of "critic" Josh McDowell who set out to disprove the faith and couldn't do so, becoming a popular name in evangelical households for his defense of Christian theology! Of course, I'm semi-familiar with McDowell's shtick (I once personally spoke with him in fact --- not bragging), and raised some of my general concerns with treating the Bible as history. My friend replied with this argument I had never heard before, about scientists discovering a "missing day" using information derived from star light that coincided with the tale of God causing the sun to stand still in Joshua. Obviously, I knew this was bullshit but decided to investigate the matter. Incredibly, a quick Google search revealed that even creationist websites seem to acknowledge this "urban legend." Here's a quick summary of it: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl...ng_day.htm

Why do so many believers need to lie to the less informed to try to make their faith sound reasonable? At least a more honest approach, though no less flawed, would be something like Kierkegaard suggested, that the faith is so ridiculous no human being would have ever conjured it up.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: NASA and the missing day
It is very sad that apologetics either don't know or don't care that they are continually being deceitful. Every time I hear one, it makes the whole cause less credible.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Thing is, it's impossible to 'disprove' faith. Faith is nebulous. It's a personal relationship with a belief, or the object of that belief. You can't disprove that.

What you can do is question the belief itself, and poke holes/reinforce the premise that belief is based on. Like this missing day thing. As you say, utter bull, but people still gonna believe in it even if they know, deep down, it's impossible.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(January 20, 2015 at 9:08 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: So yesterday my shaman-friend a.k.a. "weed guy" stopped by to show me his "rig" for smoking oil, or "dabs." After we got sufficiently high, we somehow got on the topic of Neil deGrasse Tyson, since my friend really enjoys "Cosmos," and from there, discussed the scientific method, which naturally, of course, digressed to the topic of religion. My friend was telling me that he's a Christian, and when I appeared skeptical, he offered the "story" of "critic" Josh McDowell who set out to disprove the faith and couldn't do so, becoming a popular name in evangelical households for his defense of Christian theology! Of course, I'm semi-familiar with McDowell's shtick (I once personally spoke with him in fact --- not bragging), and raised some of my general concerns with treating the Bible as history. My friend replied with this argument I had never heard before, about scientists discovering a "missing day" using information derived from star light that coincided with the tale of God causing the sun to stand still in Joshua. Obviously, I knew this was bullshit but decided to investigate the matter. Incredibly, a quick Google search revealed that even creationist websites seem to acknowledge this "urban legend." Here's a quick summary of it: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl...ng_day.htm

Why do so many believers need to lie to the less informed to try to make their faith sound reasonable?
At least a more honest approach, though no less flawed, would be something like Kierkegaard suggested, that the faith is so ridiculous no human being would have ever conjured it up.

The more numbers you have supporting your delusion/cult, the more your delusion/cult become a religion.

Discribe your friends new dabber. He make his own oil?

(January 20, 2015 at 9:20 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Thing is, it's impossible to 'disprove' faith. Faith is nebulous. It's a personal relationship with a belief, or the object of that belief. You can't disprove that.

What you can do is question the belief itself, and poke holes/reinforce the premise that belief is based on. Like this missing day thing. As you say, utter bull, but people still gonna believe in it even if they know, deep down, it's impossible.
No, I can't disprove faith. Plenty of people seem to think you can prove it though, as seen on this forum.

It's very to easy to prove that faith is completely stupid. You'd think that would be enough.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Yeah you would wouldn't you? Testament to the silliness of people, I guess.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(January 20, 2015 at 9:22 am)h4ym4n Wrote: Discribe your friends new dabber. He make his own oil?
I think he gets it from a dispensary, but gets the hook up on pretty much everything in apparently large amounts. He's trying to sell me on getting a g-pen but I tend to get way too high on the oil.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Ancient semi-savages didn't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun, so they believed it might be possible to "stop the Sun". Modern semi-savages keep that myth alive.
I must say, that's a nice urban legend. Better than "men are missing a rib".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Did they look behind the fridge?

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus. A Day Late and a Dollar Short Minimalist 20 4407 April 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  R'uh r'oh!! Corned beef brisket, St Paddy's Day and LENT !! vorlon13 34 4003 March 6, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The WLC/Shelly debate -- gone missing! Jehanne 18 2941 October 8, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  If jesus knows where the missing Malaysian airplane is, why won't he tell someone? Brakeman 45 6629 March 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah