Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:42 pm

Poll: Parents: When should a Child's Choice be Granted or Forbidden?
This poll is closed.
Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must allow.
0%
0 0%
Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must forbid.
1.33%
1 1.33%
Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. Morally either choice would be permissible.
0%
0 0%
Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must allow.
0%
0 0%
Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must forbid.
1.33%
1 1.33%
Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. Morally either choice would be permissible.
0%
0 0%
Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must allow.
0%
0 0%
Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must forbid.
1.33%
1 1.33%
Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. Morally either choice would be permissible.
0%
0 0%
Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must allow.
26.67%
20 26.67%
Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must forbid.
0%
0 0%
Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. Morally either choice would be permissible.
5.33%
4 5.33%
Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must allow.
25.33%
19 25.33%
Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must forbid.
0%
0 0%
Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. Morally either choice would be permissible.
5.33%
4 5.33%
Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must allow.
1.33%
1 1.33%
Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must forbid.
28.00%
21 28.00%
Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. Morally either choice would be permissible.
4.00%
3 4.00%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Views on Parental Responsibility
Christian Views on Parental Responsibility
If you are a Christian (or any other sort of theist), in which of the following situations do you feel it morally required for a parent to allow or forbid a child's wishes? You may also choose that by your moral standards, either choice is permissible.

The same questions are then put to atheists in the second half of the poll. Please everyone only respond in the theist or atheist portion of the poll.

Premise: Your child is 11 years old and announces the following intention.

Christians and other theists only:

1) Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must allow.
2) Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must forbid.
3) Theists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. Morally either choice would be permissible.
4) Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must allow.
5) Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must forbid.
6) Theists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. Morally either choice would be permissible.
7) Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must allow.
8) Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must forbid.
9) Theists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. Morally either choice would be permissible.

Atheists (and agnostics) only.

10) Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must allow.
11) Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. You must forbid.
12) Atheists: your child wants to change religious affiliation. Morally either choice would be permissible.
13) Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must allow.
14) Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. You must forbid.
15) Atheists: your child is pregnant and wants to abort. Morally either choice would be permissible.
16) Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must allow.
17) Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. You must forbid.
18) Atheists: your child has a lethal disease and wants to avoid treatment for sincere religious reasons. Morally either choice would be permissible.
RE: Christian Views on Parental Responsibility
Easy. 10, 13, and 17.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
10, 13, 17.

I've always said atheist morality would actually be a lot more convergent than theist morality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
10, 13, 17
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
10, 13, 17

Who will be the first dissenter?
Agreed, 10,13, and 17.

But you forgot 2A.

"Stone them to death for even thinking about it."
I feel unoriginal now.

Or sane. It might just be sane.
10, 13, 17.

Though all the atheist parents I know have a 100% success rate in their children not having unwanted pregancies, to the best of my knowledge, so far. It's the best thing for all concerned: no unwanted pregnancy, no abortion.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Well 10 is a duh. 13 is a bit iffy, while this is the best choice. Is educate her of the options, but once she had all options it would be her choice. Although getting pregnant at 11 seems iffy, and if so I might demand she abort for safety reasons. And since the child is 11, then 17 is a no brainer
Might this be the biggest poll ever created? This method is much more efficient, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89280 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7417 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Does God have any moral responsibility to his children? Greatest I am 25 8670 May 31, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6337 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The Responsibility of Lucifer Cinjin 21 3923 November 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: The Winter Saint
  My views on Christianity ... NuckChorris 54 15163 June 23, 2011 at 1:29 am
Last Post: twocompulsive
  Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality. Skipper 151 56519 March 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet