Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comets and life
Comets and life
Have we seen this yet?
Link
Quote:Scientists using Europe’s comet-orbiting Rosetta spacecraft have discovered that the complicated ancient body is coated with surprisingly simple organic molecules and surrounded by a changing cloud of gases
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Comets and life
I seen a article saying that comets and meteors having binary DNA but that is interesting.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I find this article is not well-written and rather strange. It's claiming that all kinds of things are unusual or unexpected, but I'm missing clearer statements by some scientists which put those things in context. So it's made up of a lot of co2, for example, and they quote someone that they were taught differently - but how big of a surprise is this to the current scientific community? Why did they expect to find more complex hydrocarbons?

(January 25, 2015 at 8:31 pm)dyresand Wrote: I seen a article saying that comets and meteors having binary DNA but that is interesting.

That sounds very dubious. That would be the find of the century.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Landing on a comet is a pretty spectacular achievement. I would expect some fairly magnificent findings to come from it.
Just be careful with your choice of wardrobe while doing it.

Landing on a comet, I mean.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 25, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Alex K Wrote: I find this article is not well-written and rather strange.
There probably is a better written article, but as this was the first one I came across, I thought I would post for interest and googling could possibly get one a better written more informative article.

This is just preliminary information.
(January 25, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Alex K Wrote: It's claiming that all kinds of things are unusual or unexpected, but I'm missing clearer statements by some scientists which put those things in context. So it's made up of a lot of co2, for example, and they quote someone that they were taught differently - but how big of a surprise is this to the current scientific community? Why did they expect to find more complex hydrocarbons?
The traditional description of a comet has always been the 'dirty snowball'. Finding the hydrocarbons was unexpected, but now found, they expected the same as found in the meteorites.
(January 25, 2015 at 8:31 pm)dyresand Wrote: I seen a article saying that comets and meteors having binary DNA but that is interesting.
The headline was DNA found, but what was found were some building blocks of DNA.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(January 25, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Alex K Wrote: I find this article is not well-written and rather strange. It's claiming that all kinds of things are unusual or unexpected, but I'm missing clearer statements by some scientists which put those things in context. So it's made up of a lot of co2, for example, and they quote someone that they were taught differently - but how big of a surprise is this to the current scientific community? Why did they expect to find more complex hydrocarbons?

That sounds very dubious. That would be the find of the century.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...nics-.html
http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/...eteorites/
It has been found years ago and nasa pretty much said building blocks of life can be found in space.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/f...rites.html
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
DNA building blocks, not DNA. Not to dismiss the find by any means, but actual DNA would be an universe shattering find. To believe the probability of alien life is one thing, but to actually find it ... ?
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(January 25, 2015 at 10:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Landing on a comet is a pretty spectacular achievement. I would expect some fairly magnificent findings to come from it.

Oh but Min, surely you must have heard.

What is far more important was that the guy heading the project was wearing a shirt that wasn't feminist-friendly!

Considering how fragile DNA is, and how easily it is broken down in even benign environments, I would say DNA molecules native to comets and meteors is as close as anything can come to being impossible.

(January 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm)IATIA Wrote: DNA building blocks, not DNA. Not to dismiss the find by any means, but actual DNA would be an universe shattering find. To believe the probability of alien life is one thing, but to actually find it ... ?

Actual DNA survivng for presumably prolonged period on a body exposed to hard vacuumed and radiation of space would also shatter our belief that we understand chemistry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More comets popeyespappy 1 962 March 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope