Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does nothing exist?
Does nothing exist?
Does the state of nonexistence exist (despite the apparent contradiction?)? Everything exists... but do non-things exist? Or will we hold to the classic view that nothingness does not exist as it contradicts its own existence if it were to exist? But what impact would that have on everything existing?

I'm interested in seeing what you lot have to say on nothing's existence (or lack thereof) Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Does nothing exist?
I think nothing is abstract. We can see a whole lot of something, and know that most something is not endless. So we can consider nothingness, like we can consider the number 3,126 without having 3,126 things to count. But in reality, outside of our heads, I don't think nothingness can exist. It's definition makes itself impossible. It is a paradox. What would nothing look like? White? Something. Clear? Something Black? Something. Would it have a smell? Something. Would it not have a smell? having no smell is something. Nothing as soon as it is defined, can be nothing anymore.

It is a deep and very old question, though, thank you for posing it.

What do you think?
'Nothing' is a description of an abscence of things, it is not a thing in itself.
In the same way that death is a description of the abscence of life and is not a thing in itself.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: 'Nothing' is a description of an abscence of things, it is not a thing in itself.
In the same way that death is a description of the abscence of life and is not a thing in itself.

(It should be noted: Nothing's definition makes itself logically impossible. However, I'm considering the logical standpoint so as to avoid metaphysics)

But is not the absence of being a thing a thing of itself? Nothing too would have to be a thing (else we could not consider it, also hence why it is declared a contradictory idea.). Of course, things can demonstrably exist outside of logic (hence fallacy exists)... why should nothing not also exist? (Joke question... note the above note in italic.)

Does existence suggest that there be an essence? If not, then why would nothing not exist? Can the state of lacking an essence still exist?

@plumb: Actually, death is not the absence of life. Rocks are not dead. Death is "the action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism". Death requires former life.
Does absence of belief actually presume a belief in 'nothing' which would be the same as a belief in something which doesn't exist?
(March 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Does absence of belief actually presume a belief in 'nothing' which would be the same as a belief in something which doesn't exist?

No. However, the absence of belief is still a thing itself.
Nothing isn't something, it's no thing. So nothing can't exist because no thing existing simply means not one thing existing, which is the opposite of existence.

EvF
(March 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm)Saerules Wrote:
(March 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Does absence of belief actually presume a belief in 'nothing' which would be the same as a belief in something which doesn't exist?

No. However, the absence of belief is still a thing itself.

Explain
(March 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Nothing isn't something, it's no thing. So nothing can't exist because no thing existing simply means not one thing existing, which is the opposite of existence.

EvF

And yet it remains a concept. For it to be a concept, it must exist, at the least as a concept. Nothing can't logically exist, because for it to do so it would have to be something... in which case we cannot properly rationalize nothing as a concept, because that would be to presuppose its existence.

A lack of belief in something exists as a void. But nothing cannot exist as a void, because a void is a thing. Therefore nothing's existence tautologically becomes something... therefore nothing exists as something. Nothing cannot exist as nothing, because if it did then it would be something, that being nothing. Therefore nothing is always something, and therefore if nothing exists... it exists as something.

fr0d0 Wrote:Explain

Direct to the bold.

A void is nothing... but because of this it is something (that being a void). Hence the question is not "does nothing exist"... but rather "can nothing exist as something?"
I think my statement still stands. An absence of belief in something... a belief in nothing pertaining to an idea.. exists as an idea. Belief in God as 'non existent' also has substance as an idea demonstrably.

Does the existent thought necessitate anything further of this entity? Could the collective existent thought 'embody' the entity, if not encompass it completely?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1643 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3450 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 6742 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11271 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5047 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4470 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8521 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 14597 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Existence must exist at all times. Edwardo Piet 41 8532 November 28, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist Rational AKD 348 78828 October 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy