Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to?
How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to?
Just wondering....

I want to learn more about, and am interested in, nihilism.

I am having trouble finding some good nihilism forums (forums just for nihilism) any thoughts?

EvF
RE: How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to?
It depends... what are you wanting to discuss about it?

I am a nihilistic existentialist... so i subscribe to the belief that there is no meaning ('essence') inherent in anything, thus all 'meaning' (or 'essence') is a supposition by us formed from our subjective viewpoints.

It really depends on what you want to know...?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Those sad, miserable fools are too self defeating to actually 'do' anything Big Grin
Sae: your personality: the influences and instincts that shaped you and the composit building blocks that went into the production inside your mother of the being we've come to know as Sae... isn't that the meaning/ essence inherent in you?
fr0d0 Wrote:Sae: your personality: the influences and instincts that shaped you and the composit building blocks that went into the production inside your mother of the being we've come to know as Sae... isn't that the meaning/ essence inherent in you?

That's the question of essence Smile (By which i mean how 'essence' is defined)

One may declare a large collection of atoms (and that which builds 'them' of course) to be a thing (such as a door)... but ultimately without our definition said individual 'indivisibles' simply exist (as 'indivisibles'). That is the only point I can think of at which existence does not precede essence, but rather occurs with it. That which you know as 'Sae' is a large collection of individual atoms (rather 'indivisibles') that you have declared to be 'Sae'. 'Sae' is a meaning you have given to the collection of particles that is both my platform and myself, which are both meanings generated by me.

I think this: The existence of the indivisible essence precedes the existence of any larger group of indivisible subjectively granted essence. Wink

fr0d0 Wrote:Those sad, miserable fools are too self defeating to actually 'do' anything

I hold the belief that one cannot be an existentialist without also being a nihilist... and that one cannot be a nihilist without also being an existentialist Tongue
That collection of material we know as Sae has undergone massive influence and is unique in it's presentation to the world. You're an extreme opposite of a random collection. Hence bursting with inherent meaning. Tongue
The Skeksis' collected essence from the Gelflings using The Dark Crystal. Therefore documenting the existence of said substance! If you drink it you will become young again! Not so much with pod people essence though...

Just ignore me, I am being willfully silly,
Rhizo
(March 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: That collection of material we know as Sae has undergone massive influence and is unique in it's presentation to the world. You're an extreme opposite of a random collection. Hence bursting with inherent meaning. Tongue

Well... it is true that I am not a random collection Smile But it would be to large of a jump to assume then that 'I' burst with inherent meaning Smile

It is true that if there is a 'me', that a meaning already applies to me in my being me Tongue But it doesn't mean anything more than that (nor does it need to really Tongue).
I'm not advocating more than what's there. What's there has inherent meaning enough.
(March 11, 2010 at 3:24 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I'm not advocating more than what's there. What's there has inherent meaning enough.

Well... how you define this mass of indivisibles that are located where you have defined them as 'Sae' might be a little different from how the little neutrino defines the mass of indivisibles that are located where you have defined them as 'Sae'... and what you and they think will be entirely different from what rabbits in the 26th dimension would define these indivisibles as.

Ooorr.... more simply: subjectivity makes impossible objective essences, and also inherent meaning in all except the indivisible. You see me... the Rabbit sees a tree Smile
What's there is not meaning until you've found meaning in it. And even if you've 'found meaning', if that's your own subjective meaning that is completely different to the proposition of the existence of any objective meaning.

I know no evidence whatsoever of any objective values or meaning in life.

Anyone know where any nihilist forums are then - and maybe even decent ones!! - I can't find any!

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2105 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3902 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10339 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  How many holes does a straw have? ignoramus 57 3209 August 19, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Nihilism ShirkahnW 82 11083 January 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dealing with existential nihilism Angst King 113 17902 April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5640 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism? SteveII 196 24618 March 16, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 6901 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Is nihilism the logical extreme of atheism? Whateverist 301 46905 October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest