Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcast Ideas
Podcast Ideas
So I've had an idea to do a podcast for a while with various setups, various people, but things ultimately come up and we don't have the time to get together and plan something, and nothing comes of it.

Then I wondered if it could be organised more successfully here, at Atheist Forums. We certainly have a good place to discuss and plan things, and I think it could strengthen the community even more.

So my current ideas for doing a podcast would be:
  • A team of 3-4 people who form the main hosts.
  • The show would be a monthly thing at first, so we aren't putting too much pressure on ourselves. It would be around an hour long.
  • It would be recorded over Skype and then edited and stitched together for release.
  • The show would include us discussing recent news, things that were perhaps brought up on the forums, general ideas, etc.
  • One thing I thought of last night would be a "Better know a member" segment where we have a short 10 minute interview with a member of the forums to find our more about their life and who they are.

Of course, I'm sure everyone can come up with other ideas, but I want to know if anyone thinks this would be a good idea, and whether anyone wants to volunteer to be a host.
RE: Podcast Ideas
I think it would be a good idea... I'd definitely listen to/watch it Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You know I love me some podcasts. Wink I currently do 2, I could take helping with a 3rd if I don't have to edit.

What is your goal for how the podcast is set up? Will it be a roundtable where people bring up news topics and people comment, or will there be sections? Will it be planned ahead or off the cuff?

Currently, for the Boston Atheists Podcast we pick news segments to talk about and often pick a larger topic for a roundtable discussion. So we might dedicate the first half to news and the second half to a roundtable. The person presenting the news or roundtable subject often has a scripted intro and then it gets tossed around for general comments. We use a shared google.doc for our scripted bits so we're all on the same page, literally!

For my Anime Boston podcast, we scribble down some quick notes about what to cover and everything is unplanned, off the cuff, and kind of messy, which leads to a lot more editing after. But also, we have to be family friendly and stick to certain things so it's more limiting.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I think I'd like to have some planned schedule. We'd talk about atheist news, forum news, have a bit of discussion, and then perhaps an interview.

So yeah, something similar in layout to Boston Atheists would be good.
Well we don't do to many interviews, so that would definitely be different, but yeah, Interviews would be fun and with Skype it's possible.

And make sure you have female voices or you'll be like 95% of other atheist podcasts. Tongue

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Well I thought you wanted to be a host? That's one female right there Wink
I'm certainly up for it -_^

Good good. Ok, so we are looking for 1 or 2 more people. You'll need to have a good internet connection, and a good microphone & headphones so that we can easily record your voice over Skype.

Edit: Oh, and you'll also need to have some spare time (say max 2 hours) every month to do this. We will decide the day / time of recording once the entire group has been selected.
I already have a Skype account, I wouldn't mind being on the podcast. If no one wants me in on it though, I can understand =D I also have a headset and speakers and crap. My internet connection is kind of slow-ish, but I use Skype to call other people on a regular basis and it works pretty good.
[Image: Skullkidsig.png]
I want to be on the podcast. please please please. you need a flying skeptic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advert Ideas Tiberius 4 1849 April 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Violet