Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just spend an hour...
I just spend an hour...
Reading the comments sections of articles discussing the Coalition of Reason billboards. These are the wholly innocuous billboards that simply say "Don't Believe in God? You're not alone."

How anyone could have a problem with these billboards is beyond me. But the comments sections are internet fucking gold.

Mobile, AL Coalition of Reason Billboard

Colton, CA Coaltion of Reason Billboard

Las Vegas Coaltion of Reason Billboard

Des Moines, IA Coalition of Reason Billboard

I even Youtuberbated a little...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: I just spend an hour...
Good stuff!

I applaud what the Coalition of Reason is doing. American Atheists and Freedom from Religious Foundation did some of these but I remember those as being more provocative. This raises awareness without insulting anyone. Now when those ignorant Christians have a problem with the sign, it's them that look like asshats.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I spent 5 minutes reading comments, and that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.
"There is a gaaaaahd, and he is an aowesome gaaahd".
Good on you guys. Atheists need support, I hope it continues to do well.

Those are some of the most brain dead people yet on that video, geez.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 28, 2015 at 2:10 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: "There is a gaaaaahd, and he is an aowesome gaaahd".

ROFLOL

Tallahassee is the capitol but it isn't exactly the intellectual center of the state. That's southern Georgia up there!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
There was an Atheist convention here in Portland last year. We missed going. I wish I could remember what group it was. Anyway, they did put up billboards around town and it was awesome. Just regular joe's pictured. The said "This is what an Atheist looks like" and "I am secular and I vote." They were locals if I remember right.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
(January 28, 2015 at 1:58 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I spent 5 minutes reading comments, and that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.
It's like a double-whammy: comments from idiots on a video that was about comments from idiots.

Also, did any of those good Americans notice that the flag flying in front of it is a tattered rag?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 28, 2015 at 1:40 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: How anyone could have a problem with these billboards is beyond me.

It's clearly oppressive! It's a persecution of the christian faith! It's against the constitution!... and stuff. Nothing new.
We (my group and two others, doing the coalition thing) put one of those up a few years back in Columbia, SC. I think WIS News had a clip of some guy losing his mind over it, and another one of a guy who's like, 'meh'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How we spend our time Rahn127 21 3385 October 24, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God? Tortino 119 31170 October 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Four Horsemen ... 2 hour discussion. KichigaiNeko 3 2238 January 13, 2012 at 4:46 am
Last Post: ElDinero