Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soviet Union wars in the name of Atheism?
Soviet Union wars in the name of Atheism?
Hey. I've found this article about antitheism in USSR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in...viet_Union

Here's a part of the article:

"At the time of the 1917 Revolution, the Russian Orthodox Church was deeply integrated into the autocratic state enjoying official status. This was a significant factor that contributed to the Bolshevik attitude to religion and the steps they took to control it.[1] Thus the USSR became the first state to have, as an ideological objective, the elimination of religion[2] and its replacement with universal atheism."

Is this the only incident concerning Atheism?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Soviet Union wars in the name of Atheism?
Incorrect...as usual. The French beat the Russians by over a century and for the same reason. The fucking church was an arm of oppression every bit as bad as the nobility.
Both worship of religion and worship of the state are religions. It is actually a myth that everyone became atheists under Stalin or the USSR. Otherwise you wouldn't have had clips of Putin excusing homophobic laws saying kids don't need to see it because "We are all God's Children". Putin was a former KGB agent.

Stalin was not against Russian Orthodoxy, he was however against anyone who tried to challenge his power. Russian Orthodox Christianity never went away under the Soviet Union.
Not to mention that elimination of religion (an ideological objective of the USSR) isn't "atheism", nor is confiscating and burning religious texts, supressing religious worship, or harassing/executing believers.

They didn't do any of that "in the name of atheism". They did all that because they wanted control, and the church had had it for so long they wanted to destroy it.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
When Stalin needed morale boosters during WWII he reopened the churches, and the pews fill up quickly. When the Soviet Union collapsed people started openly worshipping in Russia. The habit is hard to kill.
(January 28, 2015 at 4:16 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Not to mention that elimination of religion (an ideological objective of the USSR) isn't "atheism", nor is confiscating and burning religious texts, supressing religious worship, or harassing/executing believers.

They didn't do any of that "in the name of atheism". They did all that because they wanted control, and the church had had it for so long they wanted to destroy it.

It had nothing to do with religion, it simply was a shift from one power monopoly to another power monopoly.

(January 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: When Stalin needed morale boosters during WWII he reopened the churches, and the pews fill up quickly. When the Soviet Union collapsed people started openly worshipping in Russia. The habit is hard to kill.

Exactly, if Russians had become atheists because of Stalin all the churches would not have popped back up after the fall of the Soviet Union.
(January 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It had nothing to do with religion, it simply was a shift from one power monopoly to another power monopoly.

That's literally what I said.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 28, 2015 at 4:20 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote: [quote='FatAndFaithless' pid='858590' dateline='1422476210']
Not to mention that elimination of religion (an ideological objective of the USSR) isn't "atheism", nor is confiscating and burning religious texts, supressing religious worship, or harassing/executing believers.

That's literally what I said.

I know I was merely agreeing.
(January 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: When Stalin needed morale boosters during WWII he reopened the churches, and the pews fill up quickly. When the Soviet Union collapsed people started openly worshipping in Russia. The habit is hard to kill.

But it does need killing.
OP no wars were ever made in the name of atheism.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3214 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3264 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2807 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26866 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6550 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  taking the lord's name in vain drfuzzy 55 7594 February 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is the name for modern atheists? bambi_swag 63 12276 October 4, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What's your atheist stripper name? Spooky 31 6531 March 15, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Big Name NFL Athlete Asserts his Atheism FatAndFaithless 41 13960 January 21, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott