Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you let your employer or office building put an RFID chip in you?
Would you let your employer or office building put an RFID chip in you?
My answer is fuuuuck no, but apparently, not everyone feels the same.

Quote:Want to gain entry to your office, get on a bus, or perhaps buy a sandwich? We're all getting used to swiping a card to do all these things. But at Epicenter, a new hi-tech office block in Sweden, they are trying a different approach - a chip under the skin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31042477

Now, the article says that 700 people will be "offered the chance," so it apparently isn't mandatory. Still, allowing myself to be tracked so easily doesn't bode well with me, and before anyone mentions my cellphone, I can at least turn that off.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Would you let your employer or office building put an RFID chip in you?
How quickly does "a chance" turn into "you better,or you're out..."
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I mean, I don't do anything illicit that I would give a shit if my company "tracked" me. If they really wanted to, they could do that with my keycard anyhow.

I'd try it, to see if it made other things easy. So long as I had the opportunity to get it removed/disabled whenever I wanted.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 3, 2015 at 5:31 pm)Alex K Wrote: How quickly does "a chance" turn into "you better,or you're out..."

When Homeland Security hears about it? Almost instantly.
I already carry their fucking RFID-enabled keycard wherever I go.

However, the chances of anyone getting close enough to inject a chip into my flesh is vanishingly close to zero.

Just ask the doc that wanted to run a catheter down through my neck. "Like hell you are. You and what army?" (I will note that said doc won that battle, but only after I was heavily sedated.)
Imagine how much you would have fought if he wanted to put one up your dick?
(February 3, 2015 at 5:33 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I mean, I don't do anything illicit that I would give a shit if my company "tracked" me. If they really wanted to, they could do that with my keycard anyhow.

I'd try it, to see if it made other things easy. So long as I had the opportunity to get it removed/disabled whenever I wanted.

They might be able to track you on their premises with the keycard, but it would be difficult to do outside of that, no? An RFID chip should make it easy to track you all over, unless maybe the transimission of the frequency is too weak? Maybe someone with more knowledge on that can enlighten us.

Still, you would have to trust your company that it was only a tracking chip they were injecting into you.

And it's not a matter of doing anything illicit. It's a matter of privacy, and giving away your privacy is giving others power over you.

Even with the RFID keycards you can choose to leave those somewhere. You don't have to carry them on your person at all times. You have no such liberties with an inserted chip without digging into your flesh.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Potato and tortilla are the only chips going inside me.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
(February 3, 2015 at 5:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Imagine how much you would have fought if he wanted to put one up your dick?

Yeah, that only happened after they put me in an induced coma. :p

Not kidding.

They removed it when I was conscious. Nurse says "this won't hurt". I says " you're lying". She was.
(February 3, 2015 at 5:41 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(February 3, 2015 at 5:33 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I mean, I don't do anything illicit that I would give a shit if my company "tracked" me. If they really wanted to, they could do that with my keycard anyhow.

They might be able to track you on their premises with the keycard, but it would be difficult to do outside of that, no? An RFID chip should make it easy to track you all over, unless maybe the transimission of the frequency is too weak? Maybe someone with more knowledge on that can enlighten us.

The embeddable RFID chips don't (and can't) transmit unless they're in close proximity to a receiver.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why won't YouTube let me upload this video? FlatAssembler 21 2184 April 19, 2022 at 8:17 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  microsoft excel and VBA for office scoobysnack 20 2546 April 21, 2016 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Building my new rig SteelCurtain 44 3749 February 17, 2016 at 6:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Does Building Your Own Computer Still Save Money? goddamnit 11 6162 July 21, 2012 at 4:42 am
Last Post: fr0d0