Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tech Support
Tech Support
Seems like a useful thread idea. I couldn't find one in a search so here it is.

My issue:

I have a pretty crappy basic laptop with windows 8. It has been running fine, up until my daughter wanted to download a few games. After the download was done, I had a new web browser? Vesteran? Or something like that. Anyhow, after I rebooted it, I was brought to the sign in screen, typed my password and was brought to a black screen instead of the desktop. I still have a mouse pointer as well.

I figured I would just restore to a earlier date, but the only way to navigate is through the task manager/ new task. I'm then able to open up the control panal window and do a search for the restore system option but nothing comes up.

My question boils down to: Is there a common shortcut to get to the restore option without the use of windows and the desktop? All of my google searches tell me how to navigate using windows. Thought I'd ask here. Much appreciated.
RE: Tech Support
I don't know about 8, but in 7, it's in %systemroot%\system32\rstui.exe - %systemroot% is usually C:\Windows

I would expect 8 to be the same, but don't have a windows 8 machine handy to verify.
Thanks CD. I'll give it a look.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
My JDSU test set is losing pattern sync at regular intervals (about 2 hours) anytime I try to run a DS1 from an ASR 9010 to an ASR 1006. It comes right back up. I'm not losing frame sync. No errored seconds are recorded. It doesn't matter if the DS1 interfaces as a DS1 or an OC3. 9010 to 9010 works fine. 1006 to 1006 works fine.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Can you hit the windows key on your keyboard, and does it load the start menu?

Also, how about WIN+R and starting "explorer.exe" to see if you can load explorer.

Or, to get right to the point - hit Win+R and type "rstrui.exe" to load the System Restore UI.

If Win+R doesn't work, you are going to have to boot in safe mode (hit F8 and go to Advanced Boot Options in the System BIOS) to a command prompt (MSDOS).

Type "rstrui.exe" in the command prompt to start the System Restore UI.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I suppose sacrificing your daughter on the altar of Baal won't be green lighted by her mom . . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Do you think it would help if I used the girlfriend's daughter? They are fighting over rent so she just might go for it.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(February 4, 2015 at 6:10 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: My JDSU test set is losing pattern sync at regular intervals (about 2 hours) anytime I try to run a DS1 from an ASR 9010 to an ASR 1006. It comes right back up. I'm not losing frame sync. No errored seconds are recorded. It doesn't matter if the DS1 interfaces as a DS1 or an OC3. 9010 to 9010 works fine. 1006 to 1006 works fine.

Are you sure it's plugged in? :p
Hit it hard.

Worked for me with an MRI once . . .
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 4, 2015 at 6:10 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: My JDSU test set is losing pattern sync at regular intervals (about 2 hours) anytime I try to run a DS1 from an ASR 9010 to an ASR 1006. It comes right back up. I'm not losing frame sync. No errored seconds are recorded. It doesn't matter if the DS1 interfaces as a DS1 or an OC3. 9010 to 9010 works fine. 1006 to 1006 works fine.

Sounds like one of the flay rods has gone outta skew on treadle!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official World of Tech Foxaèr 7 640 October 27, 2023 at 11:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  IT support/employee rant thread bladevalant546 55 7046 September 18, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  What can you do with old, broken tech? TaraJo 7 1575 March 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Tech Q&A - Security Tiberius 16 7590 November 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Tech Q&A - The Internet Tiberius 9 6285 July 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy