Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-racism?
Self-racism?
I am using race as a social construct. I'm aware that biologically there's no evidence for "races", but I'm warning people beforehand to avoid comments like "race doesn't exist". When I talk about race, I mean physical and cultural features we link to specific groups of people

I am curious, what drives some people to be racist against their own race? This isn't as rare as I thought. My girlfriend has gipsy ancestry, which basically means she looks white with slight Indian-like traits. She hates her ancestry, she really does, she is racist against gipsy people and denies that she has such ancestry. It's not rare for her to suggest a stereotype such as "Gypsies live on welfare and are criminals" is true. I don't really make a big deal about this, as people have the right to be racist against anyone and it doesn't impact me that she thinks half of her biological family (she's adopted) are a bunch of low class morons.

But it bothers me somehow - If I found out I had ancestry from 'x' ethnic group, I wouldn't care much, but I wouldn't simply say that group sucks because I would automatically self-label myself due to me being a part of that group.

Another example - A colleague in university is black, and he once said "Whenever I see a black man at night, I cross the street right away".

Why do people do this?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Self-racism?
Is it like that thing...

I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that would have me as a member.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Dystopia Wrote: I am using race as a social construct. I'm aware that biologically there's no evidence for "races", but I'm warning people beforehand to avoid comments like "race doesn't exist". When I talk about race, I mean physical and cultural features we link to specific groups of people

I am curious, what drives some people to be racist against their own race? This isn't as rare as I thought. My girlfriend has gipsy ancestry, which basically means she looks white with slight Indian-like traits. She hates her ancestry, she really does, she is racist against gipsy people and denies that she has such ancestry. It's not rare for her to suggest a stereotype such as "Gypsies live on welfare and are criminals" is true. I don't really make a big deal about this, as people have the right to be racist against anyone and it doesn't impact me that she thinks half of her biological family (she's adopted) are a bunch of low class morons.

But it bothers me somehow - If I found out I had ancestry from 'x' ethnic group, I wouldn't care much, but I wouldn't simply say that group sucks because I would automatically self-label myself due to me being a part of that group.

Another example - A colleague in university is black, and he once said "Whenever I see a black man at night, I cross the street right away".

Why do people do this?

Reverend Jackson made the cross the street remark too. I figure a stint in a re-education center and he will be fine.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think that it is because they have absorbed the negative messages that society has taught them. It is probably feels safer to belong to the group with the most power than to be part of a population that experiences prejudice.
I know I have mixed feelings about being half-Mexican since I've grown up around racists in my family (my mother's side(white) since my dad(Mexican) left when I was young and don't know my dad's side) and peers. Now racism doesn't have to be rednecks lynching people. Racism is often passive-aggressive in polite society like making comments about Mexicans that have a negative emotive connotation.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Supposedly, Michael Jackson (for instance) had the nose surgery because his siblings teased him about his as a child. Is the basis for his decision simply childhood taunts, or do those taunts reflect perceived ethnic stereotypes his siblings were buying in to , and by default, Michael too ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I am not my ancestors. Call me a wasp, a whitey, a cracker, a dego, a wop, a ukrop, a commie or anything you like. So what! sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never harm me. The first step in eliminating racism would be on the part of the receiver to just blow it off.

Words only have the power they are given.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I've met fellow Germans who claimed that we in particular have those Nazi like tendencies in our genes or something.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Btw, Alex, I heard that many people in Germany are ashamed to sing their national anthem because of its connotations with fascism. Is it true or was it a bunch of boloney?
I don't think Germans can't be patriotic because of Nazism. It's perfectly valid - It's your anthem, just sing it.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 753 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9062 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32947 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1967 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Question for the PC police about racism... IanHulett 17 2735 January 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Biological Strategy to end Racism chimp3 46 3707 September 26, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5428 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your self in real life vs on AF Catholic_Lady 94 12765 February 5, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Suspicious activity at California shooter's home not reported due to fear of racism. Catholic_Lady 34 4095 December 6, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  Racism in mainstream media piterski123 8 2070 July 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: brewer