Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Bible
What is the Bible
This questions stems from ideas generated by The Atheist Experience youtube video I watched at Xyster's request.

What is the Bible? Is it the inerrant word of God? The living interpretation of God's will? An idol? What does the word Bible mean to you. I'll start off with my view and let other's add theres.

When I say the Bibe, I don't typically speak of versions or languages. I typically read many different translations to include the dead sea scrolls, apocrapha, torah, KJV etc. I consider the Bible the collected ideas of Christianity and Judaism, written by men, inspired by God, about God and Jesus' life. I give it no more weight than the building our church meets in, or MCSA study book. True I have a deeper emotional investment in it than the former book, but It's the message not the words that matter to me. The goal not the tool. The finish line not the race... etc.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: What is the Bible
It is a collection of books that shows the evolution of a religion.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
It is a mish mash of inconsistant thoughts, pulling in different directions written over a period of several thousand years by various mad men/philosphers /tyrants. All of which make it one of the most irritating and poorly written pieces of crap I've ever struggled through.
Honestly if it hadnt been such a central plank of the mad befleif systems it inspires I just would have bothered to finish it.
It is just CRAP.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

A barely coherent collection of stories derived from barbaric desert tribes living in bronze age Palestine that resembles both a primitive attempt to make sense of the universe and a large scale control mechanism.

It's the con-mans best friend.
The correct answer would be the holy text of Christianity; the word of God, that the religion is based upon.

However, to me it is something that has no relevance today. It tries to claim many things that they had no evidence for, and basically makes a lot of stuff up. Consider Leviticus: it claims that if you see mildew, the house must be closed off for seven days before being examined by a priest. It also claims that shellfish are an abomination. My opinion of it is that it is dumbfounded and makes very little sense, and I find it astounding that people still use it as "evidence" and justification.
It is a collection of Semitic mythology continuously edited to suit the needs of the power structure most likely beginning around 500 BC. The earliest written version we have is a 3d century BC Greek account.

It is as reliable as a $2 watch.[/u]
The Old Testament is a mixture of fairy stories, superstition, law, myth and an awful lot of blood sacrifice and merciless slaughter. Not to mention all the boring lists of begat and begot...

The New Testament is a selected group of texts, the earliest written a good few years after Jesus' death and not cannonized into a book until centuries after, when it was decided what was heretical and what wasn't. Also contains its fair share of myth and fairy stories hinged somewhat uneasily onto the Old Testament, if only because without the two being attached the prophecies wouldn't work out in Jesus' favour.

Basically a compelling work of fiction, that to my amazement people still insist upon taking literally.
(March 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm)theVOID Wrote: A barely coherent collection of stories derived from barbaric desert tribes living in bronze age Palestine that resembles both a primitive attempt to make sense of the universe and a large scale control mechanism.

Not if said con man were attempting to sell to a rational audience. But then... what con-man would ever try to do that? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 15, 2010 at 7:49 am)Saerules Wrote:
(March 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm)theVOID Wrote: A barely coherent collection of stories derived from barbaric desert tribes living in bronze age Palestine that resembles both a primitive attempt to make sense of the universe and a large scale control mechanism.

Not if said con man were attempting to sell to a rational audience. But then... what con-man would ever try to do that? Smile

An unsuccessful one.
(March 15, 2010 at 8:22 am)Synackaon Wrote:
(March 15, 2010 at 7:49 am)Saerules Wrote:

An unsuccessful one.

Usually true... but Piltdown Man and other such hoaxes can sometimes con intelligent people for a while. Of course... i have never seen a con-man manage it with a Bible 0.o Not suggesting it doesn't happen though (Arcanus for instance)... but that may not have been the result of him being conned Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44031 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7430 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky