Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholicism is crazy too
Catholicism is crazy too
This probably isn't news to ex-Catholics, but for some reason I believed that Catholicism was less silly than other forms of Christianity such as Evangelicalism, Fundamentalism, etc. As I have learned more about Catholic beliefs, I have been stunned at their legalistic absurdity. I suppose the sane Catholics ignore all of that. Undecided
RE: Catholicism is crazy too
(February 13, 2015 at 4:31 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: for some reason I believed that Catholicism is less silly that other forms of Christianity such as Evangelicalism, Fundamentalism, etc.
ROFLOL

(February 13, 2015 at 4:31 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I suppose the sane Catholics ignore all of that. Undecided

Sane? Catholic? Does not compute
It's a mixed bag. I really like the fact that they embrace science to a degree. They acknowledge evolution and man-made climate change. I sure wish other religions would follow their lead here. Unfortunately, their prohibition of birth control, abortion and divorce has serious negative consequences. There is also that little matter of sexual suppression of the clergy which has helped keep pediatric proctocologists in business.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I don't think a thread on this forum will ever be long enough to capture the looniness contained within Catholicism.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(February 13, 2015 at 4:32 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: Sane? Catholic? Does not compute

My wife's Catholic, and she's sane...except for the Catholic part, of course.

It's amazing how people can compartmentalize their insanity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 13, 2015 at 5:02 pm)Faith No More Wrote: My wife's Catholic, and she's sane...except for the Catholic part, of course.

It's amazing how people can compartmentalize their insanity.

It is. I know catholics who are the sanest people you would meet outside of their faith. They're very rational and sensible and then in the middle of the sentence they jump out of nowhere with some random "Praise the Lawd". Boggles the mind, really.
I grew up as an Episcopalian, and I expected Catholicism to be similar. Outwardly there are similarities, but Catholics are just as ridiculous as fundamentalists except that they follow the Vatican instead of the Bible. That would be o.k. if the Vatican gave instructions based on common sense, but they use logic to extrapolate from the Bible and early Church instructions. That's almost worse than being a Fundamentalist IMO.

I was shocked to discover that Catholics still ban contraceptives. Imagine Catholic missionaries going to thrid world countries with overpopulation and telling them not to use contraceptives.
(February 13, 2015 at 6:40 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I grew up as an Episcopalian, and I expected Catholicism to be similar. Outwardly there are similarities, but Catholics are just as ridiculous as fundamentalists except that they follow the Vatican instead of the Bible. That would be o.k. if the Vatican gave instructions based on common sense, but they use logic to extrapolate from the Bible and early Church instructions. That's almost worse than being a Fundamentalist IMO.

I've said it before: catholics are the cherry-picking champions. They do that with everything, including science. They only pick the parts that don't contradict their ideas and mend them into a one big steaming pile of nonsense.
It's scary to think that there are 1 billion people who believe in Catholicism. They are even more crazy and judgemental than fundamentalists IMO.
(February 13, 2015 at 4:31 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: This probably isn't news to ex-Catholics, but for some reason I believed that Catholicism was less silly than other forms of Christianity such as Evangelicalism, Fundamentalism, etc. [...]

I'd have thought the dresses and the hats are a dead giveaway...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5121 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam Ahriman 32 1923 August 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1309 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2469 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religion: Just Plain Crazy Minimalist 10 2318 September 26, 2017 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1137 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A new flavor of Catholicism? Zenith 0 688 March 7, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20843 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5031 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1941 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13