Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell and the Play Nice Christian
Exclamation 
Hell and the Play Nice Christian
It seems I'm meeting more and more Christians who are disavowing their devotion to eternal torment by their "loving" god.

Of recent I took to calling them the Play Nice Christians (a close relative of the Convenient Christian).

At any rate, one of these luke-warm half-assed mindless brother-in-christ types imparted upon me that Hell was not necessarily a bad place at all, and that their god, in his infinite wisdom, was able to customize each eternal punishment for each of the 85 billion souls he's sent there (give or take 10 billion).

Yep, hell for the average non-believer like myself won't actually be all that bad. True, we won't get to sing songs about Jesus, dance naked for the angry wizard himself, or tour the cosmos in high angelic fashion, but apparently god may allow us to hang out with our friends and have a smoke now and again.

So what of it christians? Is your fellow brother-in-christ correct? Is your god going to have a version of hell that's more like a cosmic slap on the wrist???

It amazes me what length the sheep will go to in order to circumvent the rules of that angry Hebrew god. Just sayin. Undecided

[Image: Farside11_zpsaf3b1d97.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Hell and the Play Nice Christian
Online I have run into some Christians who do not believe in hell but they are a minority. The joy of sending those who disagree with your religion to a place of everlasting torment is just too emotionally satisfying for most Christians.
I've heard of wishy washy hell deniers, but this is a new level of weirdness!

OK well, gods feeling generous. Us atheists aren't such a bad bunch after all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I like it. The comic, that is.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I met one who decided God would never condemn someone to Hell but he became an atheist within a few years.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(February 16, 2015 at 5:25 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I met one who decided God would never condemn someone to Hell but he became an atheist within a few years.

Hmmm that might have been me before I woke up, do I know you?

I was such a chop lmfao

[Image: tumblr_inline_n6o3xlD7MX1s2uupz.gif]
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Hell deniers are usually only found on the fringes of liberal and mystical (as opposed to hierarchical or scriptural) Christianity, more often than not unitarians, Quakers and of course the main source universalism. Also "Gay churches" (that is, non denominational churches like the meteropolitans that are popping up in major cities to cater to queers kicked out their own) seem to really hook onto the idea, I visited a gay christian forum once while I was studying to ask a question about an opinion of an interpretation of the Ruth and Naomi story and from what I saw on other threads I think only one poster thought hell was real.

I've also noticed a few lay Catholics saying things like this, and it seems to originate from a strange combination of latent humanism (most of the U.K espouses humanist principles, even if they wouldn't use the word to describe themselves) and losing faith in an organization but not the God it claims to represent. They believe with all their heart that God must be good, and when they turn their personal humanist-formed sense of morality on a doctrine like hell (which instantly appears immoral) anything that seems to contradict that image must have been made up by the organization that was either oppressing them or doing bad shit (i.e: sex scandals) on the side.

It doesn't really seem to appear in denominations without a major scandal in the Western world like Orthodoxy. Just my 2 cents
Can't blame the gay churches for latching onto the idea of no Hell tbh. When you're told you're going to Hell just for existing it does bring some comfort

[Image: tumblr_mxtfzePtwP1sg6xaao1_400.gif]

Or you could just go the whole way and be an atheist
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Look. ALL religion is invented by humans. Do you deny this bunch of phonies the right to concoct their own sky-daddy story?

Next you'll be denying allah and the pedoprophet and.... oh, .....right.
Yeah, I've heard the other stuff, like separation from god, or just being instantly destroyed. Both of which would be better than being in heaven, where I either have to worship a god I find repulsive, or my mind has been changed to the point that I don't care about the evil actions in the bible.

Of course since no one can prove that Yahweh is the source of everything good, they can't prove that being separated from him would leave you wallowing in negativity.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3131 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Turnabout is fair play LinuxGal 15 1380 November 11, 2022 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When logic fails, falsely play victim. Brian37 9 1052 January 31, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 780 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88827 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 28158 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On Hell and Forgiveness LadyForCamus 977 86442 October 19, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: kelseck
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5134 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Nice Going, "God." Minimalist 65 17154 October 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  It's Time to Play...WHO'S WORSE THAN YAHWEH! Astonished 37 11280 September 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished