Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Angel Hi all, ether-ore here and of course, I'm new. I am a Christian of the LDS (Mormon) variety. I'll try and just hang out for a wile to get a feel for the place. I've read the rules and I understand this is primarily an atheist community. I guess the only reason I would have to speak is to respond to issues regarding faith (belief) and other religious practice.

I trust it is ok for me to speak my mind in offering my opinions. I will have no intention of offending anyone, although there probably is little doubt but that my opinions may be received as being offensive. I sincerely hope not.

I can promise you I do not use vulgar language, nor do I resort to name calling. Conversely, I hope no one will call me names or show contempt within their acknowledged disagreement because they may think me mentally deficient because I have faith.

I have a fair amount of education (one BA and two Associates in Applied Science degrees). I'm a 65 year old widower and I live in Richmond, Virginia.

Just a brief explanation of my 'nick': I'm a malleable substance (ore) which is still being shaped and who's origin is the 'ether', which as you probably know was once thought to be the medium that conducted light (knowledge).
RE: Hello :angel:
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find many discussions to have here.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Quote:I trust it is ok for me to speak my mind in offering my opinions.

That's what it is here for. Feel free.

For my part I don't consider mormonism any dumber than any other variant of the invisible sky-daddy ilk so you start off on an even footing with the rest of them.
Welcome ether-ore!

It'll be interesting to hear your opinions. Start a thread on a topic you're interested in, or join in on one already in progress.

We are a pretty rough an tumble bunch. I can tell you that people will (by and large) not attack you personally, but your beliefs and the tenets of the LDS faith are absolutely fair game. So if you have thin skin, my advice is to grow thicker skin!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Hello
Hey OP, welcome to the forum Smile

Can't remember the last time we had a Mormon come through, so hope you stick around.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(February 17, 2015 at 4:56 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome ether-ore!

It'll be interesting to hear your opinions. Start a thread on a topic you're interested in, or join in on one already in progress.

We are a pretty rough an tumble bunch. I can tell you that people will (by and large) not attack you personally, but your beliefs and the tenets of the LDS faith are absolutely fair game. So if you have thin skin, my advice is to grow thicker skin!

Thanks for the fair warning. I expected no less. My approach is to answer questions to the best of my ability concerning my faith, but I have little or no expectation my responses will be well received. Tongue.. However, I will respond only up to a point. I see no point in arguing about a subject once I've have given my best answer and it has been rejected. There is little point in beating dead horse.
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome ether-ore!

Buckle up and expect a bumpy ride as there be turbulence ahead.

We like people just fine (especially with a fine chianti), but we don't refrain from all manner of idea-trashing (no faith claims are safe!), including using the vilest of language. Vile is a virtue! Devil infestation will do that to a person.

If thine ears are tender tread carefully in these realms.
Welcome! Got some funeral potatoes? I'm hungry!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(February 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm)ether-ore Wrote: Angel Hi all, ether-ore here and of course, I'm new. I am a Christian of the LDS (Mormon) variety. I'll try and just hang out for a wile to get a feel for the place. I've read the rules and I understand this is primarily an atheist community. I guess the only reason I would have to speak is to respond to issues regarding faith (belief) and other religious practice.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy 'being' here.

(February 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm)ether-ore Wrote: I trust it is ok for me to speak my mind in offering my opinions. I will have no intention of offending anyone, although there probably is little doubt but that my opinions may be received as being offensive. I sincerely hope not.

It depends on what your opinions are, I reckon.

(February 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm)ether-ore Wrote: I can promise you I do not use vulgar language, nor do I resort to name calling. Conversely, I hope no one will call me names or show contempt within their acknowledged disagreement because they may think me mentally deficient because I have faith.

As long as you're not under the impression that not using 'bad' words is the same thing as being courteous, I don't see getting abusive toward you. But a thick skin helps around here. We've got folks who will use profanity or obscenities just because you asked them to not do so. I recommend that you reserve your attention for the more substantive posts.

(February 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm)ether-ore Wrote: I have a fair amount of education (one BA and two Associates in Applied Science degrees). I'm a 65 year old widower and I live in Richmond, Virginia.

My condolences regarding your wife.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6192 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3709 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates