Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's A Dilemma
Here's A Dilemma
Whatever shall the Supreme Court do?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/relig...bie-fitch/

Quote:Religious groups tell Supreme Court to side with Muslim woman denied job at Abercrombie & Fitch

They've got the religious shitheads on one side and their beloved business, criminal, assholes on the other!

Shame, too. She'd be a pretty girl without that rag on her head.
RE: Here's A Dilemma
Meh I'm neutral to this, I wouldn't deny someone a job because of a headscarf but it depends on the job. I'm surprised christians are siding with their primary enemies. It's ironic how conservative side with everyone when it's convenient
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Discrimination.

(February 24, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They've got the religious shitheads on one side and their beloved business, criminal, assholes on the other!

But it is discrimination. And that's all that counts.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It seems pretty cut-and-dried to me: discrimination. However, if the SC sides with the defendant, it will be interesting to see the tortured legal reasoning involved in justifying the decision. Few things are more infuriating and entertaining than right-wing judicial sophistry.
(February 24, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Shame, too. She'd be a pretty girl without that rag on her head.

Lets be fair here, she still is a pretty girl. She would be a dateable girl if she didn't have all the religions shit in her head as well as on her head.
I agree that the practice is discriminatory, but it may not be illegal. The business would have to prove that lifting the discriminatory practice would undermine the business operation; something I think they'll have a hard time doing.

Take for instance The Rockettes. In addition to their strict height requirements, I am sure they would have no problem legally enforcing a ban on religious headgear due to the nature of their business.

I hope SCOTUS sides with Abercrombie and Fitch. The hijab is not required by Islam. It is worn by some as a symbol of modesty and privacy. I don't understand how a woman that wears the hijab reconciles the importance of modesty with selling young women short skirts, tight fitting jeans, revealing tops, etc. Do we then take the next step and force retailers to accommodate modesty warriors by having someone else assist and check-out customers purchasing clothing that the worker finds objectionable in accordance with self imposed modesty standards?
I get your opinion about the contradiction in the young lady's position -- indeed, I agree with it -- but I don't like the idea of further eroding rights.

Discrimination my arse. All jobs have certain requirements regarding the attire you can or cannot wear. If they don't think a head scarf is appropriate for the job, don't wear it, or they have every right to find someone else who will comply with the rules.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Nestor I agree with you but how much freedom do business owners have? What if I thought beards were inappropriate? Or red ties? See where I'm going? I think if a business is going to forbid wearing certain pieces of clothing there needs to be a justification of why it's necessary and impacts profit.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God and the dilemma with unfalsifiability ignoramus 322 58027 October 16, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Dilemma for theists! Darwinian 265 109417 May 6, 2012 at 8:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The euthyphro dilemma. theVOID 38 17746 September 17, 2010 at 11:06 am
Last Post: tackattack