Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysterious craters in Siberia
Mysterious craters in Siberia
My first thought was "HOLY FUCK GODZILLA IS REAL!"
Quote:Vladimir Pushkarev/The Siberian Times

Huge New Holes In Siberia Have Scientists Calling For Urgent Investigation Of The Mysterious Craters

Scientists were baffled last July when they discovered three giant holes in the ground in the Yamal Peninsula in northern Siberia.

Now, with the help of satellite imagery, researchers have located four additional craters--and they believe there may be dozens more in the region. That has them calling for an urgent investigation to protect residents living in the area.

"I am sure that there are more craters on Yamal, we just need to search for them... I suppose there could be 20 to 30 craters more," Prof. Vasily Bogoyavlensky, a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and deputy director of the Moscow-based Oil and Gas Research Institute, told The Siberian Times. "It is important not to scare people, but to understand that it is a very serious problem and we must research this."

Researchers ventured deep inside one of the holes last November, collecting data in an effort to learn why the holes formed. The leading theory is that the holes were created by gas explosions triggered by underground heat or by rising air temperatures associated with climate change, the Siberian Times reported last December.

Since scientists can't predict when or where gas explosions will occur, it's dangerous to study them, according to Bogoyavlensky. But he said his team is planning to launch a new expedition, and to put stations in the area to detect earthquakes that might strike when the craters open up.

"We need to answer now the basic questions: what areas and under what conditions are the most dangerous?" he told the Siberian Times. "These questions are important for safe operation of the northern cities and infrastructure of oil and gas complexes."

Experts in the U.S. echoed that sentiment.

Dr. Carolyn Ruppel, a research geophysicist at the Woods Hole Field Center in Massachusetts and chief of the U.S. Geological Survey's Gas Hydrates Project, told The Huffington Post in an email that she was not surprised that new holes had been found.

Ruppel, who is not involved in the Siberian research effort, called for more research on the holes.

"The processes that are causing them to form likely occur over a wide area of the continuous permafrost in this part of Siberia," she said in the email. "Scientists should definitely conduct more research on these features to determine the processes that cause their formation, how they evolve with time, and whether it is possible to predict where new ones will occur."
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6736744
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Mysterious craters in Siberia
(February 24, 2015 at 4:18 pm)Nestor Wrote: My first thought was "HOLY FUCK GODZILLA IS REAL!"
Quote:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6736744

Sinkholes? Thinking
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Gulags?
I can't wait to see the conspiracy theories people come up for this.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"aliens' opening up fissures to their underground cultures and preparing to invade the surface world.
Dying to live, living to die.
God dammit, vorlon
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Eloi traps constructed by hungry Morlocks.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Psh. Putin did it.
(February 24, 2015 at 5:44 pm)Beccs Wrote: "aliens' opening up fissures to their underground cultures and preparing to invade the surface world.

There is a civilization inside the earth, which is actually a shell, and they are on the inner surface.

They are attempting to invert the earth's surface so they will be on the outside, and we will wind up on the inside. It's like turning a balloon inside out. There will be some unpleasantries during the procedure.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Thanks Obama!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russian lunar lander added to the number of known craters on the moon. Anomalocaris 17 985 August 21, 2023 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal