Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentaries
Documentaries
This morning I watched The Act of Killing which is the most bizarre, horrifying documentary that I think I have ever seen. The director wanted to make a film about the 1965 massacre of communist in Indonesia but the army there wouldn't let him. He decided to interview the killers instead and let them make a film about the atrocities. It is a film within a film and not only deeply disturbing but also weirdly funny at some points. I have always been interested in why people hurt each other. It doesn't make any sense, to me, to hurt someone who isn't a threat to you. How do you turn off your empathy and humanity? The Act of Killing doesn't answer that question but it does shine a weird, surreal light on people who have done things that most of us would consider evil.

Have any of you seen it? What are some of the best documentaries that you have seen lately?
RE: Documentaries
Haven't seen the one you're talking about, but lately I caught up on three documentaries from Dawkins I've been wanting to see: the God Delusion, Enemies of Reason and Faith School Menace.
(March 2, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Nope Wrote: I have always been interested in why people hurt each other. It doesn't make any sense, to me, to hurt someone who isn't a threat to you. How do you turn off your empathy and humanity?

The Milgram experiment, conducted in 1961, gives a pretty good answer to that question. For most of the killers it's about authority asking them to do it. So their personal sense of responsibility is lifted.

http://psychology.about.com/od/historyof...ilgram.htm

Also there's a book by an army psychologist called "On killing". In there he examined soldiers and how they react to the acts of violence and their feelings when they have to kill. The goal of that study of course was to create more efficient killers, but what the author found out is actually pretty interesting. About 3 percent of probands actually enjoyed the act of killing.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Haven't seen that one.

I do love a documentary, here are the last three that have gotten me riled up/excited.

God Loves Uganda

Kidnapped for Christ

Lost Songs: The New Basement Tapes

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I know about the Milgram Experiment but I had never heard about the book, On Killing. That is one more to go on my list of books to read. Thanks.
Losing Iraq on PBS Frontline

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365297690/

An hour and a half of Bush administration stupidity and arrogance on display.
(March 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Haven't seen that one.

I do love a documentary, here are the last three that have gotten me riled up/excited.

God Loves Uganda

Kidnapped for Christ

Lost Songs: The New Basement Tapes

I have seen the first two but not the last one. Netflix has a lot of good documentaries, including Min's suggestion, Losing Iraq.
I'm excited to see HBO's doc on Scientology called Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief. March 26.

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---