Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I Get Pen Tablet?
Should I Get Pen Tablet?
[Image: bamboo-pen-tablet-3.jpg]

I'm debating over whether or not getting a pen tablet is a good idea. I mainly wanted a pen pad for giving people calculus lessons over the net or talking about calculus over the net. MSN's handwriting feature makes quick doodles during conversation easy. I'd also like to get into drawing with pen tablet but I barely know how to draw with a pencil so maybe I'd be better off starting with pen and paper? I'm probably going to get one anyway and was hoping for suggestions. What is the best pen tablet? What pen tablet do you think I should get? Does anyone on atheistforums have a pen tablet?

Amazon classifies 'pen tablets' as 'digital tablets' but I think that's a mis-categorization since the new 'ipad' may be considered a digital tablet, right?
RE: Should I Get Pen Tablet?
I should get one and then write a review Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I have a pen tablet. It's a Wacom Intuos 3. It's decent. Try to get a wireless one (if they have it.)
Because I've only had mine for about a year, and it has a couple places where it holds the wire (the usb on the tablet) in place so it doesn't bother you or can be put down on a flat surface. It's cut into the wire forcing me to rig it with electric tape. I expect it to die any day now.

So don't get cheap in terms of a tablet. Be prepared to spend at least $200.

The Bamboo Tablet is good, I hear. It should be around $80-$100. It's cheap, but it might be good.
I'd make sure to buy a warranty on anything you get. I didn't get one for my tablet, and now I'm going to have to cough up more money.

Good luck! <3
Saerules Wrote:The air, tis wonderful!

Saerules Wrote:No, don't even ask what I just laughed at. I will not tell you what I just laughed at! You may think I'm going to tell you what I just laughed at, but I'm not!
xD
I have one as well, but I cant remember the brand. It works very well both under ubuntu and windows, but working with it does take getting used to.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I've got a Wacom. It's been very reliable. I've heard said the smallest size is all you need, as it's the fine work you really use it for, but artists I know swear by their megabuck A3 monsters. I have an A5, and it is limiting when you want to switch to general mouse type actions... but then... use a mouse??
Post pictures of your pen tablets Big Grin?

I already ordered a Wacom Bamboo CTL460 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOW...ss_product
[Image: Wacom%20Bamboo.jpg] [Image: cordless%2520trackman.jpg]
I thought about getting a wireless one but I was worried about always having to provide batteries for it and worried about latency. I think my Logitech Trackball mouse and a pen tablet will make a good combination since track ball's don't require much space to move around) and I can always have my pen tablet next to it.
I agree with all your reasons there skeptic. Perfect choice IMO.

Here's my antique!
[Image: h102.jpg]

Oh & I love Corel Painter. If I was into it I'd spend all day messin with that.
I cheaped out and got a 3rd party tablet.

Not worth it one bit. Get a Wacom.
(March 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm)Synackaon Wrote: I cheaped out and got a 3rd party tablet.

Not worth it one bit. Get a Wacom.

Thanks for the reassurance. I ordered a Wacom Bamboo CTL460.
I'm amazed that Wacom still has such a firm grip on the tablet market. It's not like they are just a little bit better but even their cheapest models blow away the competition's more expensive models. It can't be that hard to make a tablet that is at least as good as theirs.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which headphones should I get? Dystopia 16 2124 June 30, 2015 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  should i get a cat? leodeo 23 5865 November 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Useful Software For Pen Tablet The_Flying_Skeptic 2 1267 April 6, 2010 at 11:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc